How exactly does VoEVDO work on the TB?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up haha, just a question-

I got QPST to work with my Droid X here, and it got me to thinking that if we figured out exactly what programming settings enable the TB's simultaneous voice and data over 3G to work, maybe we could all mod our phones in QPST to do the same? I mean they have 3G radios too, so theoretically it's possible...

So if you know anything useful, please share with the rest of the class!

^ Posted this in the Droid Hacks thread, thought it could go here, too.

So has anyone out there gone into QPST and figured this out for the TB?

Lucas5

Reaction score
i thought the thunderbolt can do voice and data simultaneously because it has two radios.

UNC

Reaction score
The CDMA radio in the TB is a newer generation than the ones found in all previous phones. Won't work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Reaction score
At this moment I am on my phone in call while i surf the net...Yes, you can talk and surf at the same time...Love my TB!

DaWolf85

Reaction score
If you can call and surf on the tb then you are in a 4g area. 3g cdma doesn't support that function.

Really? You've tested that? Because my understanding is you do get simultaneous voice and data over 3G.

gujupmp88

Reaction score
If you can call and surf on the tb then you are in a 4g area. 3g cdma doesn't support that function.

i can surf and talk at the same time, and i can tell you with certainty that i am not in a 4g area. closest 4g area is NYC which is 60 miles away.

Snow02

Reaction score

SVDO does not make use if the 4G radio. It's an extension of the 1x-EVDO tech.

UNC

Reaction score

Incorrect. Surf and talk over 3g. Not too shabby either, I thought it would be slow, but not really much slower than normal 3g.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! It was pretty cool today running my laptop off of my Mobile HotSpot while I was talking on the phone at the same time! :)

Incorrect. Surf and talk over 3g. Not too shabby either, I thought it would be slow, but not really much slower than normal 3g.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

yurdle

Reaction score

Exactly, Alot of people are getting confused about this....
The tb is capable of doing voice and data at the same time on both the 3g and 4g networks.
Its both been announced by Verizon and been tested by a couple users on this forum.

Honestly if I had the money and wasn't worried about the battery life complaints I've been hearing I would definitely buy the tb.
Don't live anywhere close to 4g but it seems like a pretty great phone for the most part.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I gotta say, that's pretty jank...

You think Verizon will ever give older 3G phones the ability?

yurdle

Reaction score
I gotta say, that's pretty jank...

You think Verizon will ever give older 3G phones the ability?

No, the older phones do not have the hardware required to do both voice and data at the same time. It's all in the phones hardware... well not all but its a big part of it.. I'm sure Verizon had to do something on the network end to get it working too. But definitely need the hardware in the phone too.