How do you Unroot? (on JB)

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
How can I unroot a JB phone? Would a FDR and erasing internal storage do the trick? Would there be any trace of the phone being rooted afterwards?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You could use mattlgroffs utility for JB and flash the stock JB back. There is a root checker on every RAZR though so they will always be able to tell you were once rooted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
You could use mattlgroffs utility for JB and flash the stock JB back. There is a root checker on every RAZR though so they will always be able to tell you were once rooted.
My first phone, I was attempting to flash back to the stock JB, then root. Something went wrong and I ended up with a black screen and phone did not turn on. Will VZ be able to figure that out? It's FUBAR...it doesn't turn on, and only gets the Motorola symbol when plugged in.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
If the person knows how to check the Root Status que, then yes. But the likely hood of that happening....hard to say.

GotnFX

Reaction score
I don't know the policy or procedures that is used, but if I had to guess, its probably a simply inspection by a VZ quality inspector such as..does phone turn on..then go to step 2..if not skip to bottom of form and throw into scrap pile..lol. Again just a guess..

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
To be a bit clearer on this thread, I was using mattlgroff's tool on my first MAXX and that's what screwed it up (Option 1). I had gotten to the rebooting process into Recovery, then into the part where you're suppose to apply an update from the SD Card. I'd had so many folders on my SD Card that I was unable to arrow down any further to get to the next folder. I tried purchasing a MicroSD to USB, removing a lot of stuff and only have what I needed on it but upon the second time, my phone would not boot up. The instructions said for me to use the ICS_to_Leak file which I honestly don't understand because I was already on the official JB. Is the 1.90 tool meant for the Official JB .16 OS? I saw a YouTube video of a guy using the blade utility to apply a root. I might just go off of this next time rather than dealing with mattlgroff's tool. I really need to look into just what exactly it does and why it's necessary. I didn't see a whole lot of online documentation about it, it was more like "follow the onscreen instructions".

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I don't know exactly how mattlgroffs tool works with the RAZR but I do know it uses the razrblade method.

Let me find the link.

Is this the one you used? [TOOLS] DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

This one. I think it says the same thing, though: DROID RAZR Utility 1.90 -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!) - DroidRzr.com

I would've liked to have seen some sort of preview as to what to expect (like a step-by-step tutorial). Had I known to move the files IN the MOVE TO SDCARD folder to the ROOT of the SD Card, I might not've had to get a replacement phone, or at least been told that the down arrow doesn't show more files/folders than what's currently on the screen. Not sure if it said that in the WindowsUtility or not, I was looking at the post.

atreyu175

Reaction score
Just flash the JB xml file in RSDLite to fix this

This one. I think it says the same thing, though: DROID RAZR Utility 1.90 -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!) - DroidRzr.com

I would've liked to have seen some sort of preview as to what to expect (like a step-by-step tutorial). Had I known to move the files IN the MOVE TO SDCARD folder to the ROOT of the SD Card, I might not've had to get a replacement phone, or at least been told that the down arrow doesn't show more files/folders than what's currently on the screen. Not sure if it said that in the WindowsUtility or not, I was looking at the post.

I'm assuming you're using the CDMA version of the Droid Razr or Razr MAXX XT912 for Verizon Wireless here... If thats the case, you can simply download the 4.1.2 version of Jelly Bean from here Droid-Developers SBF and flash it using RSDLite

Get RSDLite here RSDLite6.1.4.msi - Download Free Applications from mediafire.com - General Files

Install RSDLite (I'm assuming you already have Motorola Driver's, since you had used the utility previously) and run it.

With your phone off, hold Vol Up and Vol Down down, then turn on while still holding Vol Up and Vol Down. This should bring up a menu like this

View attachment 62785

Using Vol Down, go down two spaces to AP Fastboot

View attachment 62784

Push Vol Up to select this option. You should see this:

View attachment 62783

Plug in the MicroUSB Cable to your phone and computer. On RSDLite, you should now see this:

View attachment 62782

Click on the "..." button and navigate to the previously downloaded "cdma_spyder_9.8.2O-72_VZW-16_1ff.xml.zip" file (unless you renamed it). Select the file and click "Open." Then click Decompress and Start Flashing, then wait. This will take about 5-10 minutes (at least that's what it took everytime I've done it)