How do you clear the search suggestions

celoughrey

Reaction score
When I open my browser and start typing someting to search for (not in google), it gives me suggestions for what I might be searching for. Is there a way clear this out or turn it off with the stock browser on an unrooted Droid X with Gingerbread?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dl the app history Eraser. It will give you the option to clear a bunch of clutter including google search history. Great app

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

OP
C

celoughrey

Reaction score
That cleared slot of junk but still not what I'm looking for.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use a different browser. Dolphin mini is where it's at anyway. Plus it will clear history each time you close out of it. Best browser out there

Droid 2 APEX -The fastest ROM out there.

OP
C

celoughrey

Reaction score
It's not really the history, more like suggestions. It shows things I've never searched for.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah got ya. Do you have the instant beta turned on with google? If so, turn that off. This is what predicts suggestions as you type. Check and see

Droid 2 APEX -The fastest ROM out there.

OP
C

celoughrey

Reaction score
It was off. I even tried changing all the settings in google but still no luck.

huskur

Reaction score
ALL browsers have the function to "clear and turn off" history. Open the browser and select the menu button on your phone and go to "settings".

djakrse

Reaction score
When I open my browser and start typing someting to search for (not in google), it gives me suggestions for what I might be searching for. Is there a way clear this out or turn it off with the stock browser on an unrooted Droid X with Gingerbread?

First, sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I believe I am looking for the same thing you are. I've searched several times before for the answer and finally got fed up enough to figure it out.

Steps to reproduce this "issue" in stock (Android) or Dolphin browser (and others based on Android browser?):
1) Open browser from app drawer.
2) Tap address/search bar. A list of 6 sites appears, below the selected field and with stars next to them (bookmarks). The list may appear generally ugly due to the random sort of sites which will appear.
3) Begin typing and other related bookmark/search results appear.

At first, I thought it was simply this:
Support | Smart Phone. Clever Browsing.
Q: How do I disable the drop down list suggestions in the address bar?

A: You can enable/ disable search suggestion under Menu> More> Settings> Dolphin settings>Search suggestions.
Unfortunately, this option is not in the stock browser (see EDIT), though it only disables the search suggestions, not the list of sites in step 2 or 3.

After experimenting, it appears the list at step 2 is of the last 6 bookmarks I have made, sorted new to old, regardless of folder location or sorted order in bookmarks. After step 3, the list is of related bookmarks and Google's autocomplete search results. Since this is "by design" and a "feature" :icon_ goofy: :icon_rolleyes: and has nothing to do with history, that explains why the list cannot be cleared or erased as such. I have to assume the only way to clear this list is to delete all bookmarks. In the stock browser, I deleted all but a few bookmarks, and these were the only ones to show in the list, until you type of course. Technically this is a great feature, but it might help to sort of control it. For instance in Dolphin, I'd much prefer (after step 2) to see a list of speed dial sites or the contents of the "Bookmark bar" list. (speaking of, wheretf is this bookmark bar?)

I guess the next step is to make a feature request or something like that.

EDIT: Oops, I knew I hit post to quickly! I found this at XDA:

Open the Google Search app.
Menu> Search settings
Web, Google search, uncheck Show web suggestions

Note the Search history option to toggle personalized search history and the link to manage your personalized history, which you can also access from your desktop when logged into google.com.

Last edited:

tgbrowning

Reaction score
What I'd like to see is a way to turn autocomplete on and off, period. I do NOT want suggestion 90% of the time and frankly, as a feature, I think it sucks. Of course, that's probably because I refuse to do any screen typing at all if I can afford not to. If I want more than ten words, I want a regular keyboard to work with.

So, anybody, can one shut that blasted feature down globally, or does one have to go through each apt and specify it as off? Especially in Quick office pro.

Browning>>>

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

jayman931

Reaction score
I had this problem and searched everywhere for the answer with no avail. I decided to do a Factory Wipe of the phone. After I did the Factory Wipe I actually found where and how to erase the "Word Suggestions". It has nothing to do with google it has to do with Swype Text and the "Language and Keyboard" under settings. So here is your answer x

Settings>Language and Keyboard Settings>Swype Settings>Word Prediction

:icon_ lala:

Last edited:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Bummer you had to do a reset to figure that out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jayman931

Reaction score
It didn't really bug me to do it. I had all my numbers backed up and that is really all I cared to save. Thanks for your empathy :D

RegK60

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S$-mini GT9195T
I'm guessing you have solved this by now but just in case you have not I had a very similar problem on my samsung S4 mini.

It has taken me ages but I have found there are two real solutions that don't involve "factory resetting" your phone, one a blanket answer that deletes all "suggestions" the other deletes specific suggestions. There are not even suggestions, they are from your unique version of the Android personal dictionary that Android keeps for you. You can clear individual entries or the whole thing.
Clearing specific entries first.
Open the browser app that presents you with the problem, (if it's the same problem I had the same suggestions will be in every browser app you chose) tap on the address field of the browser and the suggestion window should open just above the soft keyboard that has now appeared.
Click and hold the entry you want to delete and a popup window will appear to allow you to delete the offending suggestion.
What this is doing is clearing this entry from a "personal dictionary" that Android keeps for you. Check the dictionary function for how the entries got there in the 1st place.
Two downsides for this process, some other word or suggestion from the dictionay will replace it and the deleted entry is now missing from your personal dictionary.

The blanket solution (clearing the dictionary).
You might not want a personal dictionary and sadly I have not found a way to look at its contents but I have found a way to clear it entirely.
Go to your home page and press the menu key.
Choose Settings.
Depending on Android version and vendor implementation the best choice is not so clear but you are looking for the choice that lets you choose the "Language and Input" page. On my Samsung running Android 4.4.2, that choice is "My Device".
Scroll down and choose "Language and Input" or "Language and Keyboard" or something similar.
Now you need to find the entry that links to your phone's native keyboard. For me that is "Samsung Keyboard" and click on the settings "cog" next to it.
The next screen should have an entry that says something like "Predictive Text" on the left and a switch on the right. Press and hold "Predictive text". A new menu will appear.
Right at the bottom of that menu is "Clear personalised data". It clears the personalised dictionary in Android. Clearing this dictionary will take away ALL the suggestions that are offered in browser and search engine suggestion dropdown boxes. It will also clear your personal dictionary. It's compromise but it solves the problem.
Given I have not found a way to see what's in the dictionary I think its useless anyway.

Reg.

Last edited: