1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How do you clear the search suggestions

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by celoughrey, Jun 20, 2011.

1. celoughrey

celoughrey New Member

When I open my browser and start typing someting to search for (not in google), it gives me suggestions for what I might be searching for. Is there a way clear this out or turn it off with the stock browser on an unrooted Droid X with Gingerbread?
  2. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Dl the app history Eraser. It will give you the option to clear a bunch of clutter including google search history. Great app

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
  3. celoughrey

celoughrey New Member

That cleared slot of junk but still not what I'm looking for.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  4. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Use a different browser. Dolphin mini is where it's at anyway. Plus it will clear history each time you close out of it. Best browser out there

Droid 2 APEX -The fastest ROM out there.
  5. celoughrey

celoughrey New Member

It's not really the history, more like suggestions. It shows things I've never searched for.

6. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Ah got ya. Do you have the instant beta turned on with google? If so, turn that off. This is what predicts suggestions as you type. Check and see

Droid 2 APEX -The fastest ROM out there.
  7. celoughrey

celoughrey New Member

It was off. I even tried changing all the settings in google but still no luck.

8. huskur

huskur New Member

ALL browsers have the function to "clear and turn off" history. Open the browser and select the menu button on your phone and go to "settings".
  9. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

First, sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I believe I am looking for the same thing you are. I've searched several times before for the answer and finally got fed up enough to figure it out.

Steps to reproduce this "issue" in stock (Android) or Dolphin browser (and others based on Android browser?):
    1) Open browser from app drawer.
    2) Tap address/search bar. A list of 6 sites appears, below the selected field and with stars next to them (bookmarks). The list may appear generally ugly due to the random sort of sites which will appear.
    3) Begin typing and other related bookmark/search results appear.

At first, I thought it was simply this:
    Support | Smart Phone. Clever Browsing.
    Unfortunately, this option is not in the stock browser (see EDIT), though it only disables the search suggestions, not the list of sites in step 2 or 3.

After experimenting, it appears the list at step 2 is of the last 6 bookmarks I have made, sorted new to old, regardless of folder location or sorted order in bookmarks. After step 3, the list is of related bookmarks and Google's autocomplete search results. Since this is "by design" and a "feature" :icon_ goofy: :icon_rolleyes: and has nothing to do with history, that explains why the list cannot be cleared or erased as such. I have to assume the only way to clear this list is to delete all bookmarks. In the stock browser, I deleted all but a few bookmarks, and these were the only ones to show in the list, until you type of course. Technically this is a great feature, but it might help to sort of control it. For instance in Dolphin, I'd much prefer (after step 2) to see a list of speed dial sites or the contents of the "Bookmark bar" list. (speaking of, wheretf is this bookmark bar?)

I guess the next step is to make a feature request or something like that.

EDIT: Oops, I knew I hit post to quickly! I found this at XDA:

Open the Google Search app.
    Menu> Search settings
    Web, Google search, uncheck Show web suggestions

Note the Search history option to toggle personalized search history and the link to manage your personalized history, which you can also access from your desktop when logged into google.com.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. tgbrowning

tgbrowning New Member

What I'd like to see is a way to turn autocomplete on and off, period. I do NOT want suggestion 90% of the time and frankly, as a feature, I think it sucks. Of course, that's probably because I refuse to do any screen typing at all if I can afford not to. If I want more than ten words, I want a regular keyboard to work with.

So, anybody, can one shut that blasted feature down globally, or does one have to go through each apt and specify it as off? Especially in Quick office pro.

Browning>>>

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  11. jayman931

jayman931 New Member

I had this problem and searched everywhere for the answer with no avail. I decided to do a Factory Wipe of the phone. After I did the Factory Wipe I actually found where and how to erase the "Word Suggestions". It has nothing to do with google it has to do with Swype Text and the "Language and Keyboard" under settings. So here is your answer x

Settings>Language and Keyboard Settings>Swype Settings>Word Prediction

:icon_ lala:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  12. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Bummer you had to do a reset to figure that out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  13. jayman931

jayman931 New Member

It didn't really bug me to do it. I had all my numbers backed up and that is really all I cared to save. Thanks for your empathy :D
Search tags for this page
clear dolphin browser search

clear dolphin search history

clear facebook search suggestions

clear google search history dolphin

clear search history dolphin

clear search history dolphin browser
clear search suggestions android
delete search history dolphin
dolphin browser clear history

dolphin browser clear search history

dolphin clear search history