How do install isc through flashing.

mehimatt

Reaction score
I've downloaded the .zip containing the update now how do I install it. Thanks. Btw im not rooted and do I need to be?

Last edited:

d2l

Reaction score
What is the version of the update, and where did you find that link?

OP
M

mehimatt

Reaction score
d2l said:
What is the version of the update, and where did you find that link?

Never mind I think I download 2.3.4

d2l

Reaction score
Ah ha. That does make sense. You'll want to be on the .905 version of Gingerbread to receive the ICS update.

OP
M

mehimatt

Reaction score
d2l said:
Ah ha. That does make sense. You'll want to be on the .905 version of Gingerbread to receive the ICS update.

Yea I thought it was the update to ice cream sandwich

njlamber

Reaction score
Never mind I think I download 2.3.4

That is the correct ICS update...you just boot into recovery and flash it from sdcard.

Hold both volume buttons and hit power button..there is a post about how to do it in the ics soak test thread.

OP
M

mehimatt

Reaction score
njlamber said:
That is the correct ICS update...you just boot into recovery and flash it from sdcard.

Hold both volume buttons and hit power button..there is a post about how to do it in the ics soak test thread.

Are you sure it days .905 on it

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't worry that the name of the file is 5.9.905. Motorola gives the name of where is coming from, not where it's going to.

Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. These may install automatically when you connect your Bionic to your PC.

Your phone should be fully charged.

To speed it up, temporally move your music from your phone to your PC. It can take hours as it goes through your media file.

1. On the phone go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (aka reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
9. When the robot appears, press both Volume keys in at the same time.
10. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
11. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
12. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal.
13. When it's installed, wipe your cache by doing steps 7-9 again, but select the "Wipe Cache Partition" on step 10.
14. When the cache reformat is done, press "Power" to reboot phone.

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted is about 30 minutes to an hour. Of that, 1 minute to move the file and start the update, 3 minutes will be the phone extracting the files (Step 11) and the rest for the install itself (Step 12). A long time to stare at your phone, I admit.

Last edited:
OP
M

mehimatt

Reaction score
aaf709 said:
Don't worry that the name of the file is 5.9.905. Motorola gives the name of where is coming from, not where it's going to. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. These may install automatically when you connect your Bionic to your PC.

1. On the phone go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (aka reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
9. When the robot appears, press both Volume keys in at the same time.
10. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
11. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
12. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (about 6 minutes)
13. Wipe your cache by doing steps 7-9 again, but select the "Wipe Cache Partition" on step 10.
14. When the cache reformat is done, press "Power" to reboot phone.

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted is about an hour. Of that, 1 minute to move the file and start the update, 3 minutes will be the phone extracting the files (Step 11) and the rest for the install itself (Step 12). A long time to stare at your phone, I admit. To speed it up, temporalilly move your music from your phone to your PC. It can take hours as it goes through your media file.

Will I need to unroot before doing this ?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Off topic , flash does not work on,,Ota ,ics

Actually Flash vanishes and you have to re-install it. Go to the Play Store, look at your apps, but all (not just installed) and reinstall it.

Flash works with the stock browser, but I don't think on Chrome.