How do I trade phones?

danny95

Reaction score
My friend and I want to trade phones (his galaxy nexus for my MAXX). How do we do it? Can we just pop out our SIM cards and out them into each other's phone?

Caren4u2

Reaction score
Each of you will need to contact Verizon and do what is called "ESN Switch" Basically you are calling in the ESN# (a.k.a. serial number) off of the phone you ate switching to. The verizon cust Svc rep will coach you on what to do with the dim card. My thoughts are you would need to switch that as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Easiest way is to go into a Verizon corporate store and have'em swap ESNs and SIM cards.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually simply swapping SIM cards should work without any intervention by Verizon or a technician, assuming both phones take the MicroSIM cards. This was by design, so that you can move from phone to phone by simply taking your SIM card with you.

Quick

Reaction score
Actually simply swapping SIM cards should work without any intervention by Verizon or a technician, assuming both phones take the MicroSIM cards. This was by design, so that you can move from phone to phone by simply taking your SIM card with you.

The SIM is for 4G and ESN for 3G or less? Or does the SIM card pick up the ESN from the phone and everything identity wise between the phone and network (regardless of what G you're using) goes through the SIM card? I used to have this down with VZW, ESN and CDMA vs SIM and GSM. But then they got 4G and SIM cards and I didn't keep up...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The SIM is for 4G and ESN for 3G or less? Or does the SIM card pick up the ESN from the phone and everything identity wise between the phone and network (regardless of what G you're using) goes through the SIM card? I used to have this down with VZW, ESN and CDMA vs SIM and GSM. But then they got 4G and SIM cards and I didn't keep up...

If both phones are 4G (meaning both have SIM cards on Verizon), it will make the swap completely for all communication protocols (4G LTE, 3G, 1X, EDVO).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quick

Reaction score
If both phones are 4G (meaning both have SIM cards on Verizon), it will make the swap completely for all communication protocols (4G LTE, 3G, 1X, EDVO).

That's neat. No activation/switch charges?
While back you used to be able to activate phones on the website for free -- like switching to your backup phone. Or they would do it for you over the phone and sometimes charge for it.
Can you get into the SIM to do things like set it up for dual line? or is the SIM inaccessible from the user end.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's neat. No activation/switch charges?
While back you used to be able to activate phones on the website for free -- like switching to your backup phone. Or they would do it for you over the phone and sometimes charge for it.
Can you get into the SIM to do things like set it up for dual line? or is the SIM inaccessible from the user end.

No charge and can be changed anytime at will and repeatedly. You can not re-program a single line SIM to work with two lines or with dual NAM, that can only be done by Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

danny95

Reaction score
Awesome! So I don't need to call Verizon or drive down to my local store or anything?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
danny95 said:
Awesome! So I don't need to call Verizon or drive down to my local store or anything?

No, just switch the sim cards and you'll be just fine. It's what I do between my Maxx and S3