How do I stop my phone from recording phone calls?

florabama24

Reaction score
Tonight my phone suddenly started recording all my phone calls after I switched calls. How do I make it stop? Thanks!

OP
F

florabama24

Reaction score
What kind of phone, what app is recording your calls, and how do you know?

It is a Motorola Droid 2 Global, I did not install a recording app so I am assuming it is native to the phone though I do have a blocking app "MrNumber" on the phone that I did access last night. I know it is recording calls because a recording at the beginning of the call states that "This call is now being recorded." The caller and I can both hear it. It only happens when someone calls me, not when I call out, and the odd thing is that it does not record every incoming call. It is a work phone so I use Google Voice for all my personal calls so it may be something to do with Google Voice. Thanks!

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
-Are you using Google Voice?

-Does happen with the same people each time?

OP
F

florabama24

Reaction score
I am using Google Voice and it has happened several times when my boyfriend called and once when my brother called.

So, now I am totally baffled. I verified that "Call Recording" is not enabled via Google Voice, so that is not the problem.

I contacted Motorola support and they said my phone does not have a setting to record calls so they told me to do a factory reset. Factory reset done, phone still recording incoming calls. Contacted Verizon support and they cannot find anything. It's a company phone, so they told me to contact the corporate account people tomorrow. So frustrating! Anyone have any other ideas of what to try?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is your phone rooted? Also, if so, have you side loaded any apps lately?

So, now I am totally baffled. I verified that "Call Recording" is not enabled via Google Voice, so that is not the problem.

I contacted Motorola support and they said my phone does not have a setting to record calls so they told me to do a factory reset. Factory reset done, phone still recording incoming calls. Contacted Verizon support and they cannot find anything. It's a company phone, so they told me to contact the corporate account people tomorrow. So frustrating! Anyone have any other ideas of what to try?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The Motorola phones do not have the ability to record phone calls, nor do they have any "recording" telling you that your call is being recorded. This MUST be a third-party service you have activated because even a rooted Motorola phone can't record phone calls (that is - the other party's portion of the call). I am going with Google Voice as the culpret.

The fact that you did a factory restore and it is still "recording" proves my point. You are either not properly identifying the option for recording calls with Google Voice or you have subscribed to another outside service that your calls are being funneled through and is doing the recording in the process.

OP
F

florabama24

Reaction score
Is your phone rooted? Also, if so, have you side loaded any apps lately?

The phone is not rooted. And the only app I have side loaded that is related to phone calls is Google Voice. The "Enable Recording" option in Google Voice is NOT checked. I have narrowed it down to one of two things -
1) Since it is a work phone the regular Verizon assistance was unable to help me. I have to check with business support to verify that they are not recording calls.
2) Something with Google Voice is not working properly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help!

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
The phone is not rooted. And the only app I have side loaded that is related to phone calls is Google Voice. The "Enable Recording" option in Google Voice is NOT checked. I have narrowed it down to one of two things -
1) Since it is a work phone the regular Verizon assistance was unable to help me. I have to check with business support to verify that they are not recording calls.
2) Something with Google Voice is not working properly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help!

I would recommend:

-Uninstall Google Voice.
-Reboot.
-Try calling the people that you had issues with.

That way you know whether you can rule out Google Voice or not.