How do I send a Group SMS text to only certain members of a group.

chrisawol

Reaction score
I have about 1000 contacts. So to keep them somewhat organized I placed each contact into a group. Friends, work family etc...

But when I want to send a mass text and click the plus sign on either the native text messaging app or the one I downloaded (chomp sms) to add people to the text it takes me to all 1000 contacts.
So Then I click on the groups and friends, work and family etc appear.

But when I click on one of groups it automatically selects all members of the group.

Now obviously this isn't what I want it to do. I want to send the text to only certain members of a group.

I don't want to have to go through all 1000 contacts and select individually.

I want to go to the group I am trying to text and send it to only certain members of said group.

Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt VZW running gingerbread os.

OP
C

chrisawol

Reaction score
Unacceptable answer

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt VZW

GolfOx

Reaction score
Group message

As the title implys, you must send the message to the group. Make a sub-group. If this is a test, unacceptable question..........

eldub

Reaction score
Set up the sms to the the group you want to send the message to then delete the people you don't want from the "to" list, that's how i do it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

eldub

Reaction score
It would be nice to be able to select only the members of the group that you want to send the message to but i haven't found a way.

OP
C

chrisawol

Reaction score
Unacceptable answers there must be a way or an sms app that doesn't have to have groups predetermined.

For example I have a work group and depending on the subject matter there could be hundreds of possible combinations of people who I need to receive text.

Deleting doesn't work either.

I want to click on work family friends group etc to narrow my contacts from 1000 to 100. Then select individuals from that smaller subset.

Last edited by a moderator:

eldub

Reaction score
You can do this with a free app called Handcent SMS. Hit new message icon, plus symbol icon, group, pull down arrow to the right of the group you want, check mark people from that group, back arrow to compose message.

OP
C

chrisawol

Reaction score
That Works thanks dub

pb1bicdic

Reaction score
Is there a way to send messagss to more than 10 ppl when using stock SMS?

PB1

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Is there a way to send messagss to more than 10 ppl when using stock SMS?

PB1

I doubt it . Thats how the stock sms was setup. Max 10 people. You can use another app like handscent or other sms app