How do I prevent being updated?

pego99

Reaction score
People are saying that updates are happening automatically? How can this be prevented?

chadillac707

Reaction score
Just unrooted , updated, and rerooted, it was not automatic.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
P

pego99

Reaction score

harrellj

Reaction score
Why do you want to prevent it? If it is to save root you can either update and re-root or look in this thread for instructions on how to install the new update with root.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/103352-new-motorola-droid-update-available.html

There is no way to prevent the update without being rooted.

OK, So how do I prevent the update if I am rooted?

Do you have a custom recovery installed (SPRecovery or Clockwork Mod)? If so, if you get prompted to run the update, run it and it will fail because the custom recovery will block it.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
Why do you want to prevent it? If it is to save root you can either update and re-root or look in this thread for instructions on how to install the new update with root.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/103352-new-motorola-droid-update-available.html

There is no way to prevent the update without being rooted.

Do you have a custom recovery installed (SPRecovery or Clockwork Mod)? If so, if you get prompted to run the update, run it and it will fail because the custom recovery will block it.

unless your me didn't work for me, updated and broke my root. still trying to figure out what went wrong

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

unless your me didn't work for me, updated and broke my root. still trying to figure out what went wrong

It's impossible for an OTA from verizon/google to work unless you have stock recovery. If you have SPR or CW and accept the OTA, it WILL be blocked.

And it's not automatic, you need to accept it.

johnnycool001

Reaction score

It's impossible for an OTA from verizon/google to work unless you have stock recovery. If you have SPR or CW and accept the OTA, it WILL be blocked.

Tell me what happened. Here is what I did. Rooted with z4 installed rm flashed clockwork did a backup. Ran the update and it installed broke root

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Tell me what happened. Here is what I did. Rooted with z4 installed rm flashed clockwork did a backup. Ran the update and it installed broke root

If you don't root via link 3 in my sig, then on every reboot your custom recovery will be overwritten by the stock one.

This is why we don't endorse one click root apps. Link 3 in my sig. The only way to root a d1

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you don't root via link 3 in my sig, then on every reboot your custom recovery will be overwritten by the stock one.

This is why we don't endorse one click root apps. Link 3 in my sig. The only way to root a d1

So what's the big deal? You accept the update, lose root and root again?

johnnycool001

Reaction score
That makes sense. Now awnser this for me please. When root broke I still have the such icon but no root. I also the rest of my root apps. I will have to root the right way now. So is this going to hurt anything

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That makes sense. Now awnser this for me please. When root broke I still have the such icon but no root. I also the rest of my root apps. I will have to root the right way now. So is this going to hurt anything

You should. Be fine. Go for it

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So what's the big deal? You accept the update, lose root and root again?

Well hook, for some it does more then breaks root, for some it totally borks their phone all up and the only way to fix is to revert back to stock via sbf or link 4 in my sig