How do I permanently kill all these auto restart programs?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Yay another thrad about tasks ;)

Sent by nailing my note to a messanger, punching him thru a window on a 40 story building where on the street level another messanger would take the note from the first messanger and deliver it

Nealius

Reaction score
Turf
nice phone you have there. Phone: Increadable

dont forget to load a antivirus apps and a firewall app

:icon_eek:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Kill the task killer!!! Burn it!!! Burn it with fire!!!!

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
Perhaps you all are not as sarcastic as I. Maybe I'll add 3 wink faces next time for those scanning too fast.

jmack356

Reaction score
The only thing you'll accomplish by using a task killer, especially if you use any auto-kill features, is that you're shortening your battery life. You will have put your phone into an endless loop of app kills and restarts.

But hey, it's your phone. Abuse it as you see fit. :blackdroid:

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
The only thing you'll accomplish by using a task killer, especially if you use any auto-kill features, is that you're shortening your battery life. You will have put your phone into an endless loop of app kills and restarts.

But hey, it's your phone. Abuse it as you see fit. :blackdroid:

I'm going to modify/amend what I said before for clarity.
1st I agree... for the most part. Auto killing especially after froyo is a guaranteed DRAIN on your battery (mostly because the programmers were too concerned about making sure Skype and amazon preloaded).
But I don't auto kill... where it is VERY helpful is killing several running programs at once with just two clicks. EX: I love having Pandora play while using my gps and instead in farting around in my car after arrival it all stops very easily. Also, sometimes the **** just doesn't work and now you don't have to mess with going through settings.

Programmers are people too... and sometimes really dumb ones at that. BTW if anyone take offence to the last part it's safe to assume you're not one of the sharp ones. :D

samsonite801

Reaction score
Auto-killing is no good using a task manager, if you have a rooted phone you can install 'Autostarts' which let's you edit and disable tasks at the source by disabling them from starting up. As with any app, use good judgement as to which apps ought to be disabled and only make one change at a time so that if you have problems then you'll know which change you had made that screwed things up.

I also found it very useful to install 'Droid Wall' which must be used with iptables to build a custom firewall so you can deny about 90% of your apps from connecting to the internet which frees up a lot of precious bandwidth and as a reactive effect of that it fees up a lot of CPU cycles for other things, or for just saving battery.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
IMO turfs complaints, while a bit different, are legitimate. He doesn't want random apps that he never uses running wild on his phone. Like on my computer, my wife will just install whatever. Does she use it? No Does it take up space? Yes Do i know what that app is really doing? not really cause I can't read code.
All he wants to do is remove some of the stock apps that came with the phone. Is it possible? Yes it is. I removed a bunch of that stuff like Amazon and such. Simply because I never did nor will use it. Why have it on the phone if (to you) it's useless. So, I rooted my phone and used a terminal emulator to remove it. I am running UD 8.0 and in the "UD Settings" BD made it possible to just remove whatever I wanted. Very nice tool to have since I play with my phone alot and every time I factory reset it installs those things again by default.

Reaction score
continually sending out details about me.

Oh, you're one of those people. :rolleyes:

and his "spell check" changed nothing. His suggestion was perfectly comprehensible.

And to answer your original question: you can't.

That's because he was nice enough to go back and correct it before you read it. Also, he explained how you can.

Um notice how under my post it doesn't say edited by gonnadie4thegov at xxxxx time? I didn't change a thing in my post.

Simple enough, killing tasks is pointless. The only reason to ever kill an app is if it is malfunctioning and android has a built in task killer for that.

As i said you want the apps gone either root your Increadable and load a custom rom or use adb/root explorer to delete or rename the apps (that can be safely removed)

I'm going to modify/amend what I said before for clarity.
1st I agree... for the most part. Auto killing especially after froyo is a guaranteed DRAIN on your battery (mostly because the programmers were too concerned about making sure Skype and amazon preloaded).
But I don't auto kill... where it is VERY helpful is killing several running programs at once with just two clicks. EX: I love having Pandora play while using my gps and instead in farting around in my car after arrival it all stops very easily. Also, sometimes the **** just doesn't work and now you don't have to mess with going through settings.

Programmers are people too... and sometimes really dumb ones at that. BTW if anyone take offence to the last part it's safe to assume you're not one of the sharp ones. :D

After Froyo eh? But task killing was need pre-2.2? Where the hell did you hear that or are you hearing voices in your head?

I guess you missed the point that when you close your "2 apps at once" android reopens those apps to run in teh background where the OS expects them to be? Is it really that hard to hit pause on pandora and exit on your navigation? Maybe "the ****" doesn't work right cause of what the user is doing?

And the last part, is that supposed to be a joke? Cause I think a dog farting got more laughs.

Here is my final advice, turn the phone onto airplane mode and leave it there. Then you can enjoy your phone for phone calls and texts and not have to worry about people stealing your info. Then one day when you learn to read what the app is acessing before you install it you can turn airplane mode off and actually have a smartphone again. Big boy steps!

maxheadroom

Reaction score
if everything is supposed to stay in memory without being killed by a task manager, why is my battery being drained since this update. I used to use advanced task killer and that seemed to save my battery life. Since the update, ATK isnt killing the apps or they're restarting and its killing my battery. Suggestions?

samsonite801

Reaction score
Root your phone, install ROM Manager. Then install Lithium Mod 1.0.12 ROM. Then put on the jdlfg kernel (try the 1000mHz one to start with), and install SetCPU. Then install Launcher Pro home launcher. Then go to the Overclocking 101 thread and find my post about SetCPU profiles and follow those. Then read my above post in this thread again and follow those steps. Then follow the steps in my sig after that. When done, your phone will fly, and run so smooth, nice smooth scrolling and all, and the battery will last a lot longer than any stock build.

Feel free to ask any questions as they arise.

maxheadroom

Reaction score
Root your phone, install ROM Manager. Then install Lithium Mod 1.0.12 ROM. Then put on the jdlfg kernel (try the 1000mHz one to start with), and install SetCPU. Then install Launcher Pro home launcher. Then go to the Overclocking 101 thread and find my post about SetCPU profiles and follow those. Then read my above post in this thread again and follow those steps. Then follow the steps in my sig after that. When done, your phone will fly, and run so smooth, nice smooth scrolling and all, and the battery will last a lot longer than any stock build.

Feel free to ask any questions as they arise.

Thanks for the tips, but that might as well have been in japanese. lol. Are there any threads that have step by step instructions for the tech challenged?

samsonite801

Reaction score
Google is your friend here bigtime. Also, in my opinion, Droid-Life probably had the best rooting video out there. Do you run 2.1 or 2.2 right now?

Check out this thread too:

www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html

Just use my above post as a plan outline, and Google for the individual tasks. I wrote up a big long how-to for a friend of mine I might give if you wanted it but it's a lot of reading. I don't know if you like to read or not, but I can say that your reading skills will improve after reading all this stuff. If you have 2.2 now, then you might have to learn if the procedure to root it is different than 2.1 because I heard it might be, but since I was already rooted on 2.1 then upgrading to 2.2, I can only tell you how to root 2.1

My guess is that 2.2 is not that hard to root though

maxheadroom

Reaction score
Google is your friend here bigtime. Also, in my opinion, Droid-Life probably had the best rooting video out there. Do you run 2.1 or 2.2 right now?

Check out this thread too:

www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html

Just use my above post as a plan outline, and Google for the individual tasks. I wrote up a big long how-to for a friend of mine I might give if you wanted it but it's a lot of reading. I don't know if you like to read or not, but I can say that your reading skills will improve after reading all this stuff. If you have 2.2 now, then you might have to learn if the procedure to root it is different than 2.1 because I heard it might be, but since I was already rooted on 2.1 then upgrading to 2.2, I can only tell you how to root 2.1

My guess is that 2.2 is not that hard to root though

I'm assuming I have 2.2 since i did an update i was prompted to do a few days ago. I would love to read the write up. Anything to improve my phone. And thanks again!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would read up before doing what he suggest. Even though you can reverse the process, what he is suggesting voids your warrenty and can shorten the life of your phone. This thread has one ringing message in it, and it is screaming not to listen to everything you read or hear. Rather do research and educate yourself. You will save yourself a lot of time in the long run.

Sent from my Droid