How do I permanently kill all these auto restart programs?

turf

Reaction score
EX: Skype, voice dial, Pandora... my app killer use to kill these stupid apps before froyo but now they've been turned into those annoying candles that keep coming back seconds later.

Seriously... how badly do these apps need to track everything about me that you can no longer get rid of them?

Maybe the better question is how do I delete the forced apps all together instead of waiting for some law to demand it?

Reaction score
first off stop using a task killer, uninstall it and let android handle the program management itself as it is made to do.

and to get rid of those apps you need to root the phone and easiest then would be to install a vanilla rom without all the bloatware or you can use root explorer to rename the apk's of the programs so they dont launch

crspang

Reaction score
If you can, uninstall the apps you don't use. And don't worry about the rest. The only time you need a task-killer is to kill a rogue app. Otherwise android OS runs just fine with apps in memory as they're not actually using resources.

There are several threads in this forum explaining why task-killers are, for the most part, unnecessary. Just search around you'll see what I mean.

Remember Android runs completely different then your old WinMo or BB.

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
Crs... you can't remove the apps Verizon forced on to the phone... at least not the normal way you remove one that's been downloaded. Any suggestions?

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
first off stop using a task killer, uninstall it and let android handle the program management itself as it is made to do.

and to get rid of those apps you need to root the phone and easiest then would be to install a vanilla rom without all the bloatware or you can use root explorer to rename the apk's of the programs so they dont launch

1st I'm not loosening the app killer unless in my reading I find out that killing an app doesn't prevent it from continually sending out details about me or slow down my phone

2nd I appreciate the advice but your spell check changed too many of the words and I can't be sure of what you suggested.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If Google installed the apps themselves, I'm pretty sure nothing malicious is being done with the info. Tomorrow morning, your bank account won't be negative and there won't be a guy sitting in a parked car outside your house waiting for you to leave. :)

If you want those apps gone, you need to root the phone and then delete them. Once rooted, this can be done in many different ways

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
If Google installed the apps themselves, I'm pretty sure nothing malicious is being done with the info. Tomorrow morning, your bank account won't be negative and there won't be a guy sitting in a parked car outside your house waiting for you to leave. :)

If you want those apps gone, you need to root the phone and then delete them. Once rooted, this can be done in many different ways

:eek:) ya ya ya smarty pants. I just don't believe in blindly letting companies hack my info... you only have to work anywhere for so long to know that crooks have day jobs too (even at the elustrious Google). If I was paranoid it wouldn't have made much sense getting a smart phone let alone be on the net and at the same time! omg omg ;)

Thank you for a clearer answer... I guess I just didn't understand the language being spoke (I'm starting on page 6 of 400). Hence my inability to find anything usable on other posts in my search.

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
continually sending out details about me.

Oh, you're one of those people. :rolleyes:

and his "spell check" changed nothing. His suggestion was perfectly comprehensible.

And to answer your original question: you can't.

That's because he was nice enough to go back and correct it before you read it. Also, he explained how you can.

crspang

Reaction score
Crs... you can't remove the apps Verizon forced on to the phone... at least not the normal way you remove one that's been downloaded. Any suggestions?

I realize you can't uninstall some apps, that's why I said remove the ones you can. Like I said before, just because an app is in memory doesn't necessarily mean its "running".

Think of the memory as a bank of CD players and apps as the CDs. When you back out of an app it is akin to hitting the pause button. When you start another app the previous app will still be paused, hence not doing anything.

For the most part, apps in memory cause your phone to run faster, not slower. Now I will admit that sometimes an app will get hung up and start acting up and need to be killed, but that is not that often.

tbever

Reaction score
If you have Titanium Backup just go in and Freeze the app. Then you don't have to uninstall it, but it is invisible to your system and doesn't load. You can "Thaw" it later at any time. Easiest way to play around with apps without having to remove them. Might have to be rooted.

crspang

Reaction score
This is copied from this link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

" Please read this section FIRST. There are a great many misconceptions about how Android works with regard to
starting and stopping applications.

How to Use a Task Manager
Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. This also applies to any other task killer / management program. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly. The "End All" feature can be used if your phone/device is performing poorly and you are uncertain of the cause.

Process Types
The SystemPanel process listing groups applications into three categories: "Active", "Inactive", and "Internal":
Active applications are actually running at the present time on the device. An active application may be running in the background and not have any information currently displayed on the screen.
Inactive applications have been preloaded into memory, but are not actually using up any system resources. Such applications will not consume any battery power whatsoever. The memory used by these applications can be immediately reclaimed should other applications require it. As such, there is no need to manually remove these applications, as you will see no tangible benefit from doing so.
Internal applications are those which are part of the Android operating system itself. Some of these applications may be terminated manually, but they will be immediately restarted afterward by the OS."

Now the video from Google.
* Originally posted by Renthor @ DxF *

I highly recommend people, especially those new to Android, watch the Androidology series of videos put out by Google themselves. In particular, part 2 does a great job of explaining how Android (and really Linux) is different then most people's OS experience.

OP
T

turf

Reaction score
Yup... found that thread last night. Sounded like in a perfect world task killers are not needed but since it's not or the app program developers are not there is a need just that many people set the task killers up wrong or as you put it have Many misconceptions about what their actual purpose is for.

Mojo

Reaction score
Well as its been said task killers are not needed... oh, nevermind your not gonna listen anyways. Have fun with your task killer

Detonation

Reaction score
If you're so worried about your personal data, then you shouldn't have got a Droid or smartphone altogether.

You can kill all the running apps you want, but you do realize that any info you gave to Google, such as when you signed up for the Gmail account required for the phone and added contacts, is now theirs forever, right? No task killer is going to stop the crooks out there from getting that data.

But then again, ignorance is bliss...