How Do I Change default Dialer on N3?

ripper2860

Reaction score
OK -- I admit, I am new to this phone, but isn't everybody?? Loving the phone, but I have one quirk that is driving me nuts...

I don't like the stock dialer (a bit too cartoon-ish for my liking). I've used exDailer on my previous moto phones and really like it. It installs and works on the N3, but I cannot set it as my default dialer. When I perform and action that requires the dialer and I am presented with an option to select the dialer program "Just Once" or "Always", exDialer is never an option. I've gone into task manager and cleared the default settings and no-go. Appears it is not an exDialer issue as the same happens with RocketDail. I've also seen reports of this issue with the S4.

Any ideas??

BTW - not rooted.

Thanks!!

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
Wow. 190 views and no ideas. Don't know if it is a 4.3 thing that prevents changing the dialer or a Samsung thing. I guess this is a real head scratcher or I am the only one that doesn't like the stock dialer. :biggrin:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I installed the exdialer to test ...I was able to select as always and have it go to it...I tested from maps and dialing a number...it gave me option for both...BUT when number shows in exdialer if I hit to call it's still using the stock phone interface...

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe that better describes my issue. It still uses the stock phone interface.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mal7c7ous7ntent

Reaction score
I have same issues with anything I want to change to default. Ie chrome instead of browser. Firefox.

Most none oem installed apps I keep getting 'clear defaults' after selecting always. And keeps prompting if I want just once or always.

KaChow

Reaction score
OK -- I admit, I am new to this phone, but isn't everybody?? Loving the phone, but I have one quirk that is driving me nuts...

I don't like the stock dialer (a bit too cartoon-ish for my liking). I've used exDailer on my previous moto phones and really like it. It installs and works on the N3, but I cannot set it as my default dialer. When I perform and action that requires the dialer and I am presented with an option to select the dialer program "Just Once" or "Always", exDialer is never an option. I've gone into task manager and cleared the default settings and no-go. Appears it is not an exDialer issue as the same happens with RocketDail. I've also seen reports of this issue with the S4.

Any ideas??

BTW - not rooted.

Thanks!!

Looks like you need ROOT, Also need Xposed (see Show Content in Thread), but I found you a nice new DIALER... See 4 Yourself, xda-developers - View Single Post - [XTHEME] AOSP For Touchwiz v.2.1

Attachments

• XTHEME  AOSP For Touchwiz v.2.1   xda developers.png
    XTHEME AOSP For Touchwiz v.2.1 xda developers.png
    31 KB · Views: 1,210
OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
Just when I was thinking there was no rush to ROOT my N3 ...

Thanks KaChow!!!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Will i need Xposed as well to use this on my SM-N900V I'm also on SS3.65 with Clean Rom 1.5...
Thanks in advance

You would need to use XPosed in order to use this module...if running a custom ROM, you would want to be sure that it wouldn't conflict with the ROM's theme and such.

bigmotor

Reaction score
Thanks smalltown girl13, I must check with the Clean Roms crew to make certain that this will work. Great info.

bigmotor

Reaction score
I installed the Exdialer but it's like everyone formentioned, it reverts back to the stock white dialer before the call is placed. . Not what I'm looking for. I uninstalled it. ..

jaydub5

Reaction score
I too dislike the default dialer... immensely. When I use the method of typing in a few letters of the contacts name the lag time before the list of possible contacts is not acceptable in a phone with these specs. Of course I could go directly to the contact list but this too is time consuming. I-phones have this down to a science.
The dialer is lousy, period.
Samsung, you should be ashamed of this!