how do u change the default contact icon

93fuelslut

Reaction score
U know how u can assign ur facebook pics as contacts..and when a random number calls u, it of coarse has the default contact icon..well how do u change that default icon to a pic u have?...
I used root browser from rom toolbox and went to system, app, contact.apk and then dialer contact dark holo...
Well it only gives me the option to extract or extract to, but I don't know how to change the pic

Or unless this has to be donewith a computer

kenji91

Reaction score
I'm assuming you want to change the default icon on ALL numbers that don't have a contact picture (whether it's Facebook or an assigned one you picked)?

Because if you're just looking to assign a picture on your phone to a specific contact, that's easy and risk-free. You would just edit the contact and change the picture.

If you want to change the default one itself, it gets much sketchier. I did it using Ninja Morph once, but ended up causing all kinds of errors because I was editing system files.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm trying to do...for all the random numbers....how do u do this?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm trying to do...for all the random numbers....how do u do this?

You should just be able to change out a PNG in 7zip. Assuming its not a .9png. Those are tough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could try from root explorer. Not sure if it would work thought. They aren't .9 pngs so they should be relatively easy to replace.

Looks like you need to replace (if it's the same as mine):

picture_unknown.png from phone.apk

*edited to new png

Last edited:
OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Root explorer doesn't work for this..I tried all night...:(
I have no idea how to do this thru a computer...

Did u get my email? Of the contact apk

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root explorer doesn't work for this..I tried all night...:(
I have no idea how to do this thru a computer...

Did u get my email? Of the contact apk

I'm having problems decompiling ANYTHING now...I don't know what I've done. I'll probably have to re-install my decompiler....:( But you need don't need to decompile this. Simply using 7 zip (if on windows) you navigate to res/drawable-xhdpi from within the phone.apk and then change the png listed above to one you actually want to use.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
I half way understand what ur talking abt seeing how I'm not computer savy....I'll just youtube video's this weekend to understand

kenji91

Reaction score
All this thru a computer?

When I did it, I did it through the phone. Well, technically, I used a computer to get the image I wanted and then copied it to my SD card. From there, I used Ninja Morph to change the icon. I don't know the exact setting/location of the PNG file, though.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Thanks...Ijust downloaded the ninja morph app and busy box from the market..I'll try it in a hour or so on my break..if not I'll have to wait til sat...iv got an awesome pic to..its the "anonymous guy" mugshot....pretty badass

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Yea this might not work...says it needs 20mb of free space and says I don't have it...
Can u give a tutorial on how to use the app?

kenji91

Reaction score
Yea this might not work...says it needs 20mb of free space and says I don't have it...
Can u give a tutorial on how to use the app?

Well I'm on CM9 so the files might be slightly different, but just open NinjaMorph (if it gives you the error, try it again) and allow it Superuser access.

Start a new project, and then find the .apk file under /system/app that you want to modify. In mine, it was in /res/drawable-xxxx, depending on what .apk file you chose. You'll likely have to do it separately for MMS and the phone itself.

Scroll through until you see the icon you want to change and make sure the filename makes sense (like "unknown_picture" would make sense) and then change that to the file you want. Make sure your image is in .png format and on your sd card or somewhere available from a browser on your phone. Once you made the changes, go back to the main screen and "finish" your project. Reboot and test it out.

Good luck! But backup your phone first as this is messing with some pretty important system files and may not work, or worse - mess up your rom.