Hotspot App? for Droid

badchad112

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am looking for an app that I can use my Droid as a wifi hotspot for my laptop. Anyone know of a app that will do that? :motdroidhoriz:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am looking for an app that I can use my Droid as a wifi hotspot for my laptop. Anyone know of a app that will do that? :motdroidhoriz:

If your rooted install the wifi tether app. If you are not rooted go to the Market and search wifi there are several apps -- keep tying each until you find one that works for you.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check out free Tricorder from moonblink. I use it to find hotspots all the time.

Tricorder is a Trekkie geek toy that turns your Android phone into a Tricorder. However, it's not totally a toy, as it uses real data from your phone's sensors -- you may be surprised at how many sensors your phone has. Currently it can display acceleration; the local magnetic field; an analysis of the local acoustic environment; your location from various providers; the availability and strength of cellular and WiFi signals; and the current state of the Sun and solar wind, including current pictures of the Sun.

Tricorder-4.0-ems.png
I don't think he's looking for hotspots, but rather to create one with his phone.

I've looked and based on the results and what I've read here, you have to root your phone to wifi tether. If it's just your laptop you're looking to tether (as I am) then try PDAnet from the market and tether with a USB cord. For the times I need internet access when there's no wifi, this works great for me.

PdaNet free edition v2.41 Application for Android | Communication

jasonb

Reaction score
root it... pick a rom (Smoked Glass, Bugless Beast, Sholes).... install the wifi tether app (not on the market).

moosc

Reaction score
but how can u turn our droids into a true hot spot? like that app on the x you have to pay for? id like to connect the ipad, touch, and zune hd to my droid while im driving?