Help with gmail pushing?!?

LatinaC09

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to push gmail? I have an aol email adress and would really love to just have everything go to gmail. Is this done on the phone or the email? Also, is this recommended?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Short breaths, let the poison out.

Can someone please tell me how to push gmail? I have an aol email adress and would really love to just have everything go to gmail. Is this done on the phone or the email? Also, is this recommended?

I'm not sure how AOL works. You'd have to go into your AOL settings and see if they'll let you forward your mail to your gmail address. I could do a google search to see if AOL allows forwarding of email but I'm just that lazy.

If it is possible, then you will probably be happy with it most of the time. There are a few reasons why you might not want to forward an account to gmail:
1)occasionally, when replying to forwarded mail, you're "From" address might not be properly guessed by google. There is no way to set the "From" address in the gmail app. This may not matter to you, and this only happens sometimes when the message was originally sent to more than one person. Gmail can choke when figuring out the proper "From" address.
2)there is a (usually small) delay in forwarding email through google
3)it isn't as easy to set up separate notifications and folders for different accounts using this method. Like, let's say you wanted your AOL email to play a different sound from mail sent directly to your gmail account. Again, might not matter to you.

If it isn't possible to forward your email or any of the 3 reasons I listed are important to you then you should download K9 and set it up to get your AOL mail directly. Once again, I'm not sure if AOL allows IMAP access to their email accounts. This is "push" email. If they only allow POP3 access, you can mimic push email by setting your polling interval to something low like 5 minutes or even 1 minute.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

If it isn't possible to forward your email or any of the 3 reasons I listed are important to you then you should download K9 and set it up to get your AOL mail directly. Once again, I'm not sure if AOL allows IMAP access to their email accounts. This is "push" email. If they only allow POP3 access, you can mimic push email by setting your polling interval to something low like 5 minutes or even 1 minute.

Just to add to the options, the OP may find it convenient to forward email to his/her gmail account AND use K-9 to access the gmail server. (Just point the K-9 email client to your gmail account and set it never to poll.)

This approach allows one of get the "push" email from google but have the features (e.g. setting a default email reply address, more flexible batch operations, etc.) of K-9. It also allows you to have a more conventional presentation of individual emails compared to the threaded approach used by gmail.

OP
L

LatinaC09

Reaction score
Thanx everyone. I ended up just going to the gmail settings online and selecting forward. We'll see how tht works for time being. I don't mind delays (as long as the emails come) so ill just give it a try.

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, check my sig, it may help, but it sounds like you're already there.

OP
L

LatinaC09

Reaction score
^^^^thats exactly what i did and it worked great! thanx again for the help :)