Help with Excessive Data usage.

AJRLogistics

Reaction score
I had recently (3 weeks ago) upgraded from my Orig DroidX to the Razor Maxx HD. Since doing so, I have burned up 2+ Gig of Data and do not know why!!

I was Wi-Fi'd into my home internet svc when I setup the phone and downloaded the 6 -10 apps that I had on my droidX and then run the phone off of my Jetpack when in my truck. I am an Over the Road Transporter and use the jetpack to run my laptop and e-printer and phone when in the truck.

However, my average data usage BEFORE THE RZR HD MAXX was 4gigs out of 8 and that is for a period of over 8 months. I do nothing out of the norm since getting the new phone than I have been. BUT.....2 gigs in 3 weeks over what I normally average is unusual and ONLY SINCE I GOT THE PHONE!

I have taken the steps of deleting the apps that I downloaded, I have Forced shutdown on all the apps that I don't use that came with the phone, I have turned off GPS (which I don't use anyhow) ability, I have stopped the automatic updating, I run a picture for wallpaper, not the "live wallpaper", I have installed Task Killer and kill tasks 2 or 3 times a day! I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't hang out on Facebook or send pictures or use mapping software. I'm lost here and any help will be appreciated.

Could it be because I'm wi-Fi'd to the jetpack that it's DOUBLE TIMING the data??

Thanks in advance!
Al.

pdaniel219

Reaction score
There is definitely something wrong. Make sure your apps have background info disabled. Check your data usage in settings and see what's been using it. I would call Verizon to see if they can tell you what the problem is. Good luck!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Try downloading "my data manager" its free and it will tell you what each individual app is using data wise... You should be able to see the offending app(s).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
AJRLogistics

AJRLogistics

Reaction score
I thank the both of you for the replies.

1. I called Verizon this AM and basically paid for 2 more gigs to keep me going over my 8.
2. The lady I talked with said that she had put a note onto my account to have billing do a thorough look and try and pinpoint what it is that sucked up my data.
3. Hopefully they will find and advise instead of telling me I must just purchase more!!

I went through the apps again to ensure everyone of them is " forced stop ", but as soon as my phone gets turn off and back on....the apps are alive and well again!!
I downloaded the " My Data Manager ", hopefully something will jump out.

I also did a check of my phone data and the 2 top data drains are the Google Play Store and Removed Apps. However, I went through each listing and restricted background data on EVERYTHING!!!

Even got rid of the Weather Channel:angry:. Well, that is the most I can do given my lack of tech knowledge, but having a Smartphone that I have to make dumb ain't exactly my idea of having one to begin with!!!
Again thank you!
Al

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Check chrome, it loves to run and update 24/7 seems like. IDK how often you're off your jet pack for it to accumulate excess data.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

OP
AJRLogistics

AJRLogistics

Reaction score
I just checked Google Chrome and reaffirmed that I had restricted that as well.
Thanks for the thought!
Al

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Turn off auto updates for programs and only do the updates when you are working over a wifi connection. I almost used up my 2 gig when I first turned my phone on. I saw 14 progs had updates available and being used to my old unlimited data plan previous thought nothing of just letting them update. I had half a gig lift in my two. I just barely made it without going over. I am watching my usage now and don't even have half a gig worth of usage since it turned over in this new billing cycle. For me 2 gig will probably be enough, but I was worried when I first got the plan and saw that. I use wifi whenever I can and have it set to come on when it detects any available.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
AJRlogistics, you might want to avoid task killers, the apps just come back on. It's a never ending cycle, your battery will love you for it. Depending on witch app could save data as well.

Do you have gsam battery monitor?

OP
AJRLogistics

AJRLogistics

Reaction score
Thanks Yeti.. I have already turned off the auto updating and that could have very well been the initial drain after getting the phone. As stated, I can only wi-fi when at home or when I'm in the my Kenworth (Big Truck) but it should not matter in the truck because it is the same Data bundle. My Data saving is only at home or sometimes at a truck stop that offers free wi-fi. And even then I run the jetpack in the truck so the Free Wi-fi doesn't apply!

Lloyd: I took your advise and uninstalled task killers. Your right, the apps just come right back on. Not sure what you meant by "gsam" battery monitor, but the phone has a battery monitor and all that has been gone through to save battery life. Ie... low brightness, shut down when not in use after a few minutes and whatevert else I could do to maintain minimum usage of battery.

Thanks
Al.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 61017

It is a down loadable app from the play store, in the screen shot you can see how much each app has sent/received. Keep in mind though that it records that data across WiFi and from the data allowance.