Help!! Took 10min swim in ocean with my razr

Laxgamer13

Reaction score
I need help. Long story short I got in the Atlantic with my beloved droid razr. My other half is gone and wont turn on. What should I do? Any help would be appreciated

OP
Laxgamer13

Laxgamer13

Reaction score
I searched and there were no similar cases. I have no idea what to do.

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
When you get a phone wet the best thing to do is remove the battery as fast as possible and bury it in uncooked white rice.

Let it sit at least 12 hours to give time for the rice to absorb the moisture.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Very carefully spread butter on one side of it. Unfortunately it's toast. A quick dunk in water can sometimes be reversed but swimming in salt water will have done it in. When it dries, the salt will be left inside so the phone might as well be underwater. You will have to replace it.

This post is Incredible 2

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
The biggest problem that you're going to have is salt water. It will corrode your electronics even if you get it dried out. You have to clean it up as well as dry it out.

Edit Firefighter beat me to it.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Salt water is highly conductive, and also corrosive. Electricity speeds the corrosive effects of salt. Electrically accelerated corrosion could burn through the copper traces on the board in rather short periods of time. The Lithium Ion battery can dump large amounts of power very quickly. With salt water to conduct the electricity damage can happen very quickly.

If it were my phone, I would disconnect the battery, remove it, then bathe the phone and motherboard in a solvent that can remove the salt without further damage to the board or case. Frankly water may be the best solution since salt dissolves in water.

Once the salt is completely washed away, then it's just a matter of thoroughly drying it, replacing the battery and attempting to boot. If you don't get all salt removed, it may work for a while but could eventually fail. Of course, it may never work again anyway.

If you have insurance on it that covers water damage, place a claim and be done with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow, you both beat me to it. That's what I get for trying to do this from the phone and while watching a movie! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SallyC

Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to remove the battery, although I'm sure you guys are right about that being the best thing to do. If it were me, I'd be sure not to try and turn it on, and put it in a BHEESTIE bag for a few days.

It is supposed to be able to "withstand a 7-inch rainstorm for 10 minutes" so I'd rinse it off before I put it in the bag.

OP
Laxgamer13

Laxgamer13

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses but unfortunately, I was not able to save my droid:( I will be getting a new one very soon though dancedroid

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, salt water wreaks havoc on metal and since it's so conductive it might as well be a huge jumperwire from every connection to every other one.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. On the other hand, if you have a new one on the way, that's not so bad. I'm sure you'll be coddling her like a baby now, won't you?! :biggrin:

By the way, love the comment "my other half is gone". We had a real fun time with that very subject just a couple days ago (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/215602-am-i-obsessed-my-phone.html). :biggrin:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thankfully when we all have expensive smartphones we get insurance so we can file insurance claims when things like this happen. My suggestion is to get an insurance replacement.