Help. Need to block the 2.3.4 update.

Reaction score
Been away for a few weeks. I have an X2 that is prerooted via P3droid's rom that came out before other methods of rooting became available.

I'm being prompted for the damn update. Middle of a work week is NOT a good time for this. It bugs me every hour and I suspect it will screw up my phone even if I did take the update.

1. How do I block this update?

2. My phone is rooted and apps frozen. What do I need to do to insure a good update with this? Unfreeze apps I assume but I can't unroot a prerooted phone. There is no method, on this ROM, to unroot.

3. Is this new rom rootable? If not how do I permanently block it (until someone roots it that is, then I will take it.)

tamlin42

Reaction score

2. My phone is rooted and apps frozen. What do I need to do to insure a good update with this? Unfreeze apps I assume but I can't unroot a prerooted phone. There is no method, on this ROM, to unroot.

3. Is this new rom rootable? If not how do I permanently block it (until someone roots it that is, then I will take it.)

1) There are apps that will do that for you. can't remember the names offhand as this isn't functionality I ever wanted, but a search for OTA should land you in the right ballpark.

2) I had deleted a bunch of VZW bloat and SBF'd. It restored anything I had deleted, but also kept all of my user data. Just for safety's sake I'd unfreeze everything beforehand though, because....

3) It is rootable through the one-click app and I believe there's even a pre-rooted SBF available in the hacks forum for the X2. I wouldn't exactly call this a ROM since it's an OTA update, but that's me being nitpicky.

masters

Reaction score
Been away for a few weeks. I have an X2 that is prerooted via P3droid's rom that came out before other methods of rooting became available.

I'm being prompted for the damn update. Middle of a work week is NOT a good time for this. It bugs me every hour and I suspect it will screw up my phone even if I did take the update.

I agree with the response you got.. I had the prerooted 2.3.3 installed, I unfroze all the apps I had frozen and let the update happen.. Went flawlessly.. You will lose root, but just use Pete's One Click and you get it back..

You SHOULD let the update happen.. reason being is that there is an updated kernal, since the bootloader is locked, let vzw update it then root it again..
- Otherwise you will have to SBF to the new one and possibly have to wipe..

I am now on 2.3.4 rooted and installed the bootstrap after rooting and all is well.... Most of the new roms are on 2.3.4 and you need to be on 2.3.4 already to flash them (since they don't include the updated kernal).

OP
nlinecomputers
Reaction score
I intend to do the update. But this weekend when I have time to do it. I use my phone for business and can't afford down time on it. But Sunday afternoon as I am watching football I can do a nandroid backup, have a SBF file ready, and have time for the one click root. I froze the updater app to stop the annoying once an hour nag. Why the frak isn't that a once a day delay? Not everyone can drop everything to update a phone. :mad:

masters

Reaction score
I intend to do the update. But this weekend when I have time to do it. I use my phone for business and can't afford down time on it. But Sunday afternoon as I am watching football I can do a nandroid backup, have a SBF file ready, and have time for the one click root. I froze the updater app to stop the annoying once an hour nag. Why the frak isn't that a once a day delay? Not everyone can drop everything to update a phone. :mad:

True.. I'm not on my phone constantly (but close).. So the 7 minutes it took could have been a bathroom break. I just started it and threw it in my pocket.. I got a call like 10 minutes later and when I turned it off noticed the new turnoff animation.. When I got home re-rooted it..

I think some people make updating a bigger deal than it really is..

OP
nlinecomputers
Reaction score
True.. I'm not on my phone constantly (but close).. So the 7 minutes it took could have been a bathroom break. I just started it and threw it in my pocket.. I got a call like 10 minutes later and when I turned it off noticed the new turnoff animation.. When I got home re-rooted it..

I think some people make updating a bigger deal than it really is..

I'm glad it went so well for you. But I've had an update soft brick a phone before. It isn't a toy for me but a serious business tool. I do my billing, track my mileage and use it for constant contact with my customers. With so much of my business functions relying on the phone I tend to take more precautions then dropping it in to my pocket and letting it go. Attitudes like that make me lots of money from people that do the same thing with their computers and have to bring it to me to clear up that mistake.

masters

Reaction score
I'm glad it went so well for you. But I've had an update soft brick a phone before. It isn't a toy for me but a serious business tool. I do my billing, track my mileage and use it for constant contact with my customers. With so much of my business functions relying on the phone I tend to take more precautions then dropping it in to my pocket and letting it go. Attitudes like that make me lots of money from people that do the same thing with their computers and have to bring it to me to clear up that mistake.

LOL Yea, I can't tell you how many different phones I have recovered for people that had no business running custom rom's in the first place.. And I agree, they pay nicely when you're the only person around that knows what the heck your doing and there is "vital information" on their phone that "they just cannot lose" and when it's time sensitive.. And still learning, with each new piece of hardware, something is always different..

But with this update I have yet to hear of any bricked phones.. It will either work, or fail and you'll have to sbf. But since it is a business phone I understand you waiting, I would too, I have waited for a Friday afternoon before just so I had the weekend to fix it. With another phone as back up..

And of course always nandroid backup..

billmcg

Reaction score

I also have an X2 that was prerooted via P3droid's rom

1. if you are rooted and are currently freezing apps, you should be able to freeze FOTA 2.3.4 and that should block the OTA. That is easy enough, freezing FOTA with the version no# should block the OTA whatever the update may be.

2. I had the same exact scenario...i didn't unfreeze anything, and i didn't loose any data or apps after the update, but i also am using Titanium, which made this flash just a breeze

3. I applied the leaked SBF though, worked like a charm, not a single issue, lost root, used Pete's One Click method to regain root, easy peasy.

slick70

Reaction score
Greetings, I am running Eclipse 6.1 and keep getting the update message, which I didn't know could happen while running a custom ROM. Anyways what APP will freeze the OTA?? Anybody know. I looked on my titanium pro version and could not find FOTA 2.3.4. I found FOTA 2.3.3 and froze that but that did not work.. I looked on the APP markett for bloat Freezer but that is not on their anymore... Is there another Freeze program that will stop the OTA notifications??? Thanks!

Willie_gs

Reaction score
Eventually it will force install on ur device without you being able to do nothing. Happened to my wife.

But i think thats gonna lead to us getting the ICS update...I hope.
I have lagging issues with 2.3.4

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums