Help! My phone won't boot!

Aiiyiiyiii

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Samsung Note 3, TMobile, KitKat, 128G SD card, 3yrs old. Operation has been normal.

Today I was streaming music from the phone to my car stereo via bluetooth. Battery was low so I plugged it into the USB port for charging. The display showed "connected as a media device" and the phone indicated charging.

I unplugged it for a bit, then plugged it back in for more charge. This time the display showed only a USB symbol, and the phone did not indicate charging.

Black screen, and after that, attempts to reboot the phone result only in the TMobile splash screen. Can't get any further, can't shut it off, no response to inputs. I've removed/replaced/charged the battery but makes no difference. The phone seems a little warm.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
Aiiyiiyiii

Aiiyiiyiii

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Update: I guess a "bootloop" is not so rare with Androids. Tried to flash new firmware from TAS but couldn't quite get it to work. Tossed it in a box, bought a Moto G5+ with Nougat new for $200 and I'm pretty happy with it other than the lousy selfie camera. The hell with spending $800 on a phone that's barely going to last 3 years.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sorry about your problems with your Note 3. Samsung may be able to re-install the OS. Best Buy might have a Samsung rep available to do that. It may be worth a try to at least give you a working phone as a back up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
did you try deleting your system cache? if it does not work, you can do a reset using the same steps - instead of highlight wipe... you highlight reset... If you are unable to even get into the recovery screen, then most likely the phone is dead.

1. Turn your Note 3 off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons until you see the Samsung logo and the phone vibrates. ...
  3. You'll now see the Recovery Mode screen. ...
  4. Scroll down to highlight Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to confirm.

OP
Aiiyiiyiii

Aiiyiiyiii

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Thanks, cache wipe successful but still stuck in bootloop. Local Best Buy says they do have Samsung rep working there, left msg so I'll see what happens. Appreciate the suggestion.