HELP!Lost wireless tether ability

alexwilliams0525

Reaction score
I have a droid x that was rooted with z4root. I came back home to use my laptop on wireless tether and found that after I downloaded the new GB 2.3.3 update that it asks "Is your phone rooted?" when I use the wireless tether.
Im confused because I am new to this whole rooting thing, but after the update my super user app is still there. But I cant wireless tether.
Q1. Is my phone still rooted?
Q2. If not how do I re-root to use wireless tether again?
Someone please help me on this....dancedroid"I NEED TO TETHER"

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have the over the air Gingerbread update, you are uprooted. Only way to get root is to sbf back to Froyo and install one of the rooted GB versions.

BTW, welcome!

sent from my ZombieStomped X

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sbf is flashing the Android system file on your phone with a computer to change versions. You would need to sbf to Android 2.2 which is Froyo. There are tons of how to threads on how to do it and also tons of youtube videos. I would recommend researching it first. Its actually pretty easy

OP
A

alexwilliams0525

Reaction score
ok cool so Im just putting it back on the old system that it had before the update? Man I see you help out a ton of people. Im over here rooting a bunch of peoples phones I know (Who all use sprint) then I go download this update and now am the only one who cant use the tether program. Fell like a chump.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yessir. A ton of people are having issues with GB wiring tether, including myself. The best most surefire way is to stay on Froyo. I would also delete or freeze some bloatware on Froyo, that way you cannot get the update and it won't self install it.

If you must have GB, I would recommend the .595 leak. It doesn't have tethering detection like the .596/OTA version supposedly does. Only problem is, even with the TBH tether patch, I still cannot get wiring tether to work on it.

To sbf you will need RSD Lite 4.9, current Motorola drivers, and the 2.3.340 VZ sbf file from Team Blackhat.

And thanks man, I try and help people any way I can.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Yessir. A ton of people are having issues with GB wiring tether, including myself. The best most surefire way is to stay on Froyo. I would also delete or freeze some bloatware on Froyo, that way you cannot get the update and it won't self install it.

If you must have GB, I would recommend the .595 leak. It doesn't have tethering detection like the .596/OTA version supposedly does. Only problem is, even with the TBH tether patch, I still cannot get wiring tether to work on it.

To sbf you will need RSD Lite 4.9, current Motorola drivers, and the 2.3.340 VZ sbf file from Team Blackhat.

And thanks man, I try and help people any way I can.

Welcome to the forum! Agree with Brad, use the. 595 but as mentioned some aren't able to tether. Good luck...

Droid2Global/Xoom...the hawaiian style

NYDroid

Reaction score
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/07...r-work-around/

That method do not work. I'm on GB .596, rooted with Liberty .8

I've used the old version of Wireless Tether, didn't work. I've used the Beta version, which is in that link provided by Droid Life....didn't work. Tried different DNS address, didn't work. To make matter worst, for every fail attemp, I have to reboot the phone 'cause my phone browser would be stuck on the Verizon page.

However, the ONLY thing that worked for me is the TBH Tether patch. That worked like a charm. I personally tether for 15-30 mins a day to check mail and stuff for work, so I'm not worried about all the rumors behind it.

runthe9

Reaction score
Alex I see u wrote I am putting the OS back to what it was before update. I am having to same word for word problem as you. Could u please tell me how u referred back to prior operating system. And please be gentle I am so much more a rookie than u. Thanx.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I am on leak 573 and have not lost tether. Switched to 'yellow' wifi tether beta 3.0-pre14 with no issues in connecting when and if I ever need that feature.