[?] Help compiling framework-res.apk

UnkleDuke

Reaction score
UPDATE 2:
I'm back to using APK Manager 4.9. It decompiles fine. When compiling, I select [Y] for system file and then [Y] to copy over unchanged files. If I modify something, I delete it from the keep folder and continue compiling. After it builds, it creates an unsignedframework-res.apk. This is the finished file and does not need to be signed. Done! No force closes or any other issues now...so far :)

UPDATE:

This helped my issue (see attached). Framework-res.apk utility - Android Forums

However, I am still getting force closes from the settings menu.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm having trouble compiling a working framework-res.apk. All of my attempts so far have resulted in force closes. I've tried multiple versions of apktool and apkmanager. And I've tried installing both by adb pushing and flashing an update.zip. Each time I install, the rom boots fine, but then all processes force close after unlocking. I can't seem to get a logcat, since adb will not start.

I am using the stock 2.3.40 framework-res.apk, which I only decompile, then immediately compile again without making any changes. I get no errors when decompiling, but I do get translation warnings when it compiles, however this may not be related to what's causing the force closes. Then the file is signed successfully.

If anyone has had success with this on the DX, please let me know your process. Thanks!

Attachments

• FrameworkUtility.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 449

pyroelite

Reaction score
I just took an already working update.zip theme file and opened within winrar, opened the framework apk, dragged only the icon files I wanted to replace from a non zipped folder in win explorer to the framework apk open in winrar & just let it overwrite the files. It then repackaged itself because it's like a zip within a zip type file after ok'ing it.

I didn't mess with any of the xml, et al files, just the png's. How that helps for something.

from my DX (GJar 2.1 + Linear)

javroch

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
These utilities you speak of.. apk manager at least.. are just crappy wrappers for apktool. apktool is a simple command line utility with two arguments "apktool d <apk> <path for source>" decompiles.. "apktool b <path to source> <path for new apk>" builds the new apk. I suggest ditching apk manager. It's only ever caused me problems with all the extra crap it tries to do.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
These utilities you speak of.. apk manager at least.. are just crappy wrappers for apktool. apktool is a simple command line utility with two arguments "apktool d <apk> <path for source>" decompiles.. "apktool b <path to source> <path for new apk>" builds the new apk. I suggest ditching apk manager. It's only ever caused me problems with all the extra crap it tries to do.

I too wasn't that sold on APKManager at first, then after trying it and now using 4.9 exclusively for some time, I'm completely sold on it.... so I think you give it a bad rap unfairly bro...

And btw, I think the OP's update2 says that it's all good now afaik

javroch

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I guess so. I've had it fail on me while theming numerous apps. I also just find it unnecessary when all it does is obfuscate a simple command in itself. Deleting things from a "keep" folder, etc are all unnecessary and a waste of time. I used apk manager for a while too, but was let down on numerous occasions where the underlying command, apktool, works fine by itself and is just as easy, if not easier to use. That's all that I'm saying. Just trying to provide some advice from my experience, do whatever works for you.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not sure why you got fails with it, since it's basically a UI for APKTool anyways.... doesn't really make sense right? if it works for your using the apktool.jar, then shouldn't be any different with APKManager UI...

javroch

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That's why I stopped using it. Because it's trying to do some "fancy" things that is obviously messing it up. I used it for a while until I ran into a number of apk's with a couple different recurring problems that didn't have issue by just using apktool.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's why I stopped using it. Because it's trying to do some "fancy" things that is obviously messing it up. I used it for a while until I ran into a number of apk's with a couple different recurring problems that didn't have issue by just using apktool.
What fancy stuff?... and which APKs did you run into errors with?

javroch

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Any apk that has an *.ogg file in /res/raw for example blows up because apk manager tells apktool to try and compress the *.ogg file, which it should leave uncompressed. Twitter is an example of this, though not the only example and this isn't the only case where apk manager causes errors that apktool doesn't. I'm not trying to argue anything here, and I used apk manager for a long time as well, I'm just going off of my experience with both tools.

Apk manager is simply unneeded and makes things more difficult than they need to be, in my opinion. As I said before, if it works for you feel free to continue using it. I'm just stating that I've had issues with it in the past and I know other people who have as well. Feel free to not believe me or disregard my comments if you prefer.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've always had success with both... the only times there's been problems is when dealing with framework-res APKs from Blackdroid's latest builds due to his 9.PNGs not being saved right, that and when I accidently make errors in XML edits, which happens with apktool as well....
I see most of the error with APKManager stems from user errors...

You are entitled to your preference, but when you call a good UI for a good tool, 'crappy', then you shouldn't be surprised if there is an opposing view, which I have...

If it were only how commandline performs over UI's, then we'd be only dealing with DOS... lol J/K :p

anyways, glad you like sticking with apktool, but I have had only success with APKManager from my own personal experiences, and I enjoy the hands on & visual control...

OP
U

UnkleDuke

Reaction score
I'm still using APK manager primarily and am forced to use apktool only on rare occasions. I'm able to successfully edit my apks one way or another, and that's all that matters to me. :) Cheers!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Perfect point to close the discussion on...;)

Manigma77

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that the first post on here is very informative. Thank you.

Deciple

Reaction score
Can I get a link to app manager 4.9?

Breaker breaker one nine