A primer for modifying framework-res.apk?

ChrisPappas

Reaction score
I've been trying to make a couple of modifications to framework-res.apk and I've been having a lot of trouble. I've bootlooped the DX2 more than a few times (and was able to recover with the recently released SBF).

I've tried making one change, I've tried signing the file, I've tried not signing it, I've tried different compression levels on the zip, all with no luck. The one time I got my apk into the phone with my change on board (I verified that it was there) my change was ignored by the phone. (I've been trying to replace /res/drawable-hdp/zz_moto_list_texture_bg.png to change the default list background from the light gray to black.)

Has anyone been successful making modifications to this file in a DX2? If so, how did you do it?

What did program did you zip it with?
What was the compression set to?
Did you sign the file? If so, with what program and key?
What method did you use to drop framework-res.apk back into the phone?
Are there any files that should not be modified? (I've heard to leave the ".9" files alone.)

Thanks,

Chris

antron007

Reaction score
(I've been trying to replace /res/drawable-hdp/zz_moto_list_texture_bg.png to change the default list background from the light gray to black.)

I don't know much about the framework but a simple solution would be instead of modding in order to look for a dif pic to rename zz#########.png to something else (so you dont lose it) and name your pic zz#######.png .. that way anything looking for that pic will use yours instead.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk