help a noobie pls

orangemarmalade

Reaction score
so here is the deal i tried the 2.2 update that i found here for the one that was not root necessary and tried many times over and over even with the whole wipe cache and etc. but had no luck so i downgraded to 2.0.1 to root my phone and upgraded to 2.1 update1 since the phone system let me. so now i got a 2.1 update1 rooted phone and am trying to get 2.2 froyo but i have no idea how to. i tried few of the threads regarding this but each time i tried i was missing something... i used this ( below) to try and get 2.2 but at 8 where it tells me to select install and let it allow the zip. i cant b/c the only option i have is wipe cache & data/factory reset, reboot the system, & update from zip. ( which i have already tried but didn't work due to a error) ... if someone could help i would be much appreciated.

Upgrade 2.1-update1 to 2.2 Froyo(NOW FRG01B):(Used MyBackup to backup SMS(txt messages) and MMS(video/picture messages)

1. From Windows download 2.2 Froyo FRG01B from one the links here or Mirror Two ----- Release Version (FRG01B)
  2. Locate FRG01B-Release.zip and Rename file to update.(Example: FRG01B-Release to update)(if extensions are shown don't remove the .zip)
  3. Mount your Droid and copy the file that you just renamed to update to the SD card.(Should look like H:\update)
  4. Unmount your Droid from Windows and turn off USB Mass Storage
  5. Turn off phone and turn on while holding x.(hold x before and after turning on the phone)
  6. Select wipe cache partiton once complete select wipe data/factory rest
  7. REDO STEP 6 AGAIN!!!
  8. Select install
  9. Select Allow update.zip Installation
  10. Select Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) and wait for it to complete without errors.
  11. It should say install from sdcard complete(ignore the progress bar)
  12. Now return to the main menu and select reboot system now(THIS CAN TAKE 10min or more)
  13. Make sure to login with your contacts(phone) account.
  14. The default CPU MHz is 550MHz this release runs 600MHz. You shouldn't need SetCPU for Root Users as this shouldn't cause problems.(Overclock widget might work)(Use Autodetect Speeds)(About Overclocking)
:(:(:(

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you updated to 2.1 OTA you lost root.

OP
orangemarmalade

orangemarmalade

Reaction score
if i lost root dont i loose superuser also? i still have it & i was told if i have superuser that means my phone is rooted still but im not sure... do i have to root my phone again?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You still have the icon but it won't work. You need to root again or just flash the 2.1 sprecovery sbf and install a rom from there.