Hello, New to Droid Forums.net

jback1131

Reaction score
Hello my name is John. I am new to DroidForums.net. I have a Droid X2. It is about a year old. I am running 2.3.4. I am do not understand what rooting your phone means. What the pros and cons for doing this? I really would like to get the most out of my phone as I can. If somebody could give me a hand and point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you.

Fraternally
John

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome john. Rooting gives you admin rights to your device. You can flash custom software known as ROMs that give you a different UI and you fan also overclock and speed things up. Have a look around.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome John!! Droid-Xer has the basics of rooting covered. There is a lot to read on it around here so take a look around and let us know if you need anything!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome John - it is great to have you with us!

Check out our X2 forum ( Droid X2 Forum )...you will find additional info on rooting and such there!

Good luck and enjoy!

OP
J

jback1131

Reaction score
Hello

Thank you for getting back to me, jsm9872. I was wondering if you could expand on this "rooting". I am somewhat technical challenged. I understand that if you root your phone, it opens up different things for you to do, makes alittle faster and things like that. Am I close to understanding that? Now on the flip side, I heard you can turn your phone in to a "brick". That really scares me. And if you root your phone, it is not covered under warrenty anymore. Could you tell me the pro's and con's on rooting? Is it safe to do? Can you switch it back to normal if need be? Have you rooted your phone? One last question, If I choose to root my phone, would you be willing to help me in doing so.

Thank you very much.
John

OP
J

jback1131

Reaction score
Hello Droid-Xer

Thank you for getting back to me. I was wondering if you could expand on this "rooting" your phone. I have read some things, and I am alittle confused still. I understand that you can do more things and your phone is faster and stuff like that, but what is the big advantage? I have read that if you try to root your phone you could turn it in to a "brick" and I do not like the sound of that. Is is safe to do this? And i also read that if you do this, you cancel the warranty. If I decide to root my phone, I was wondering if you would be willing to help me do so.

Thank you
John

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
When modding your device, there's always room for error if you don't read and/or follow instructions. Rooting gives you admin access to your device. I would recommend you sign up at our sister forum. Droid X Forum A lot of people who own the device and will be able to answer your questions more specifically.