Hello all, new here, and would like some help, please!

badapple

Reaction score
First of all, let me explain that I'm not really super tech savy like most of you folks on here most likely are, so I might not know or use some of the jargon you do, please forgive me ahead of time. And, this is going to be long, so for those of you that are kind enough to help me by reading and replying, I truly appreciate your patience. :p

I have a Droid 2 Global A956 that I've had since February of this year. Like everyone else, it was all good for awhile. A few months ago, I noticed that while charging it in my car, the battery would get REALLY hot. I use a Verizon specific charger. Then, it started to frequently just lock up, to where no matter what keys I touched, it did nothing. So my only option was to take the battery out and turn it back on. It started to give me a little message in tiny white font in the upper left hand side of the screen. Something like "Boot program OK" and some other stuff. I finally got tired of my phone just turning off on me at it's will. Verizon approved wall or car charger will be plugged in, the little battery icon wont say it's charging, so I wonder if there's an issue there. One night, I plugged it into the wall at home with my same old charger, and the icon said it was charging. I woke up the next day and took it off and it said the battery level was still yellow. I took it to the Verizon store, and asked if it needed a new battery. They said no, and they set it back to factory default. Well, everything was ok, for a few weeks, then the same old crap started happening again.

So, a few days ago, my phone tells me it has an update to install (not for any apps, but for the phone itself). My buddy at work has the exact same phone model, and he told me he got his update over a month ago, and he has had no issues. This is the first one I've gotten in a really long time. So I did the update. First thing I notice is the layout and different colors of stuff, fine, whatever. Next thing I notice is that my custom ringtone now sounds like a CD that skips on one note. I could not figure out how to change in the sound settings anymore. I re-downloaded the ringtone, and re-installed it, and it still sounds like the CD skipping on one note. Now all I get is the old sounding "1980's brick cellular" ring for my notifications (new email, text, etc.) Last night I was trying to download an audio book from audible.com (amazon's new audio book service). It was taking forever then my phone finally just froze up. I couldn't do anything with it, and it was really hot. Before the download had started the battery was charged. So I took off the battery, which was REALLY hot, and left it out for awhile. I let it cool for a good long time before putting it back in. When I did, I tried to use the browser, and then the phone just started trippin'! The icon next on the right to the line where the url goes kept flashing from a circle with an 'x' in it, to the busy icon that looks like a saw blade, to an icon that looked like a piece of paper. It would stay that way for a few seconds to a minute or so, then a message would pop up in a black box that says "Sorry! the application browser (process com.android.browser) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Underneath there is a grey/white box that I can tap to "Force close" it. When I did, it takes me back to my home screen, and of course you try it again, and it does the same thing. Sometimes the phone locks up all together, and you have to pull the battery again. So ever since this update, I think you all have referred to it as "Gingerbread", my phone has been trippin' out more than before, and I'm pretty irritated about it all now. They always seem to give you the runaround at the store, and never really wanna give you a new phone (if you're lucky you might get a 'recycled' one, or whatever they call it. I'm eligible for an upgrade (I think, maybe in December), but I like this phone.

I'm really tired of *it to be honest. I expected more out of a Motorola product. This is my second Droid (I had the original). I LOVE my slide out qwerty keyboard, and the fact that we have Flash, which the iOS on iPhones do not. I don't WANT an iPhone, to be honest, primarily because there's no slide out keyboard (I like to text with my nails, it's easier)
because Flash doesn't operate on it.

So should I:

1. Try and make it work right.

2. Ditch it and get a new model, cuz technically this one is outdated and "old news". I read about the Droid RAZR coming out soon, and it sounds cool -----> http://www.phonedog.com/2011/10/18/how-the-droid-razr-could-change-the-android-game/

3. MAKE Verizon give me a new phone like this? (I really like my phone, WHEN IT WORKS CORRECTLY.)

4. Break out of the mold and get an iPhone 4S (but I still hate texting on the screen!).
Any and all suggestions would be helpful and most gratefully appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.
:happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: to the forum. I would call Verizon and let them know. It may take a few calls, but it's the least expensive route. Or just hang out, I'm sure someone else may chime in. Btw, I edited your post. We like to keep it family friendly here.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Eligible for a new phone in December? Hang in there. There's a lot of new, great phones coming out in a month or so that may be worth waiting for. In the meantime, what about trying a factory reset? Then do not re-install all your apps at once, but only those you absolutely need, one at a time, and see if your troubles persist. One app I'd recommend is Battery Solo Widget. It will tell you your battery level in percentage, and a tap on the widget will tell you your battery temperature. That will help you decide if the phone is just warm as normal when active, or really hot if something is wrong.
Go to Menu, Settings, battery and data manager, battery usage. That will show you what is sucking up the most battery power.