Helix vs Home++

Jages16

Reaction score
Any opinions on which one is better? Definitely installing one of them now that 2.1 only has 3 screens. Thanks!

Crippler

Reaction score
After using both, I can honestly recommend Helix over Home ++.

Home++ was much slower (loading up list of apps, when you go back to the home screen).

I have yet to experience any of this with Helix.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try them both. Each has different features. Home++ has the power strip, the ability to hide the info bar at the top and you can scroll continuously from screen to screen. Helix lets you put 4 icons of your choice at the bottom. I had Home++ with 4 screens and it was fine, although there were no updates for a while. With 4 screens you really had to select your wallpaper as it will show where the ends are.

I had Home++ for some time and recently went to Helix. I like Helix, it looks cleaner and I've had fewer FCs (not that Home++ had a lot).

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
Thanks Crippler. Also found home switcher app which will be nice to have with Helix.

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
aaf709...I downloaded Helix last night just to check it out and then uninstalled while waiting to do 2.1 upgrade...I noticed the 4 icons...how can you switch those, and can you turn them off if you want?

armeddroid

Reaction score
Idk..I used both...i like the Powerstrip on Home ++ but the Shortcuts on Helix work well too. I think Helix is much quicker.

darklipslide

Reaction score
I really want to use Helix Launcher but I find the power strip pretty much indispensable, so I go with Home++. The speed between the two, I don't notice that much, but Home++ does force close once in a long while

pyro6128

Reaction score
Helix no contest. I used home++ for a long time, but after removing it i noticed how much lag it was creating. Helix is more stable and much quicker

backlash

Reaction score

Home++ was much slower (loading up list of apps, when you go back to the home screen).

Same, I have not had any issues with Helix at all.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
aaf709...I downloaded Helix last night just to check it out and then uninstalled while waiting to do 2.1 upgrade...I noticed the 4 icons...how can you switch those, and can you turn them off if you want?

Long press the icon you want to remove and a popup will ask you if you want to delete it. Then to put a new one on, drag an icon or shortcut to the green dot where you want to place it, and when it turns green drop it.

I have a couple of App Organizer folders along with my Phone and Handcent links on my shortcuts.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score

Same, I have not had any issues with Helix at all.

If you have widgets outside the three main screens in the center, you'll get some force closes, especially if you have a bunch of widgets, period.

Crippler

Reaction score
If you have widgets outside the three main screens in the center, you'll get some force closes, especially if you have a bunch of widgets, period.

I only used a couple of widgets and always on the main screen. I still found Helix much better.

Gkope

Reaction score
I recently switched from Home++ to Helix. While the power strip was a nice feature of Home++, I am getting by with the four icons I can customize at the bottom of Helix. It is great to not have the force closes I had with Home++, and does not seem to lag as much either. I recommend Helix.

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score
I really love Helix. I have 5 screens, with a lot of widgets/shortcuts on all 5, and have never had a force close (lol, I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that!). I really like the 4 set icon "powerbar" thing too, I would never go back to stock based solely on that feature. :)

Slipstream

Reaction score
I recently switched from Home++ to Helix. While the power strip was a nice feature of Home++, I am getting by with the four icons I can customize at the bottom of Helix. It is great to not have the force closes I had with Home++, and does not seem to lag as much either. I recommend Helix.

The great part about the shortcut icons is you can pair it with App Manager; thus turning your 4 icons into as many as you want them to be. For example, all of my communication apps (email, Gmail, calendars x2, and SMS) are all linked to my one communication shortcut. Takes a 1/2 second longer to open, but keeps things way less cluttered.

That said, I get just as many FCs with Helix as I ever did with Home++, and I swear Home++ was actually LESS laggy than Helix. I tend to get widget happy though, so maybe that's my problem.