Helix vs Home++

Big Lou

Reaction score
Helix for sure. I've always thought the one glaring omission to the Droid was the lack of a dedicated phone button. Home++ was a great fix for that, but now I have Helix and it's much more stable and is also faster.

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
Slipstream, I'm a relative newbis so srorry if this is dumb, but how do you get the shortcut communications app icon? That would be great!

Slipstream

Reaction score
Download an application from the market called Apps Manager. Basically it allows you to "tag" each of your applications with a label; Email, Internet, Tools, etc... And you can make up your own to suit your needs.

Once you've done that, you can create a shortcut on your desktop that links directly to that tag, much like you can with the stock Droid folders. Drag that shortcut down into the Helix launcher, and presto... You have a multi-level launcher.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
If you have widgets outside the three main screens in the center, you'll get some force closes, especially if you have a bunch of widgets, period.

I only used a couple of widgets and always on the main screen. I still found Helix much better.

No doubt Helix is much better, though there are a *couple* of things I liked better about Home++. But with H++, you would sometimes get a Force Close as soon as you installed the thing.

But it's odd how there are always some people who show up in these threads who say "No! Helix will never force close, ever! It is completely bugless!" I don't get that mentality at all, having a bug doesn't negate the value of the app, and if you know what's causing it you can generally avoid it. But I wish there would be some way for them to fix that, and maybe in the future they can. Until then, I'll live, because it's better than stock.

trumpet444

Reaction score
I vote for helix, much cooler than homepp. But homepp is good if you download the 0.8.0.8 version off market. The 0.8.0.9 version on the market is buggy

bomber889

Reaction score
I use helix, I personally think it's better and it force closes less than Home++ for me.

mitchb2

Reaction score
How do I get Helix back? I downloaded it, decided to wait until later, cleared the defaults, and now i can't find out how to launch it again.

I know I could uninstall it and download it again, but this is a good exercise on how Android works.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
Have not tried helix yet. Since installing 2.1 early yesterday I have had zero fc with home ++.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do I get Helix back? I downloaded it, decided to wait until later, cleared the defaults, and now i can't find out how to launch it again.

I know I could uninstall it and download it again, but this is a good exercise on how Android works.

What is coming up when you press Home? If it's the stock you can clear that in your Manage Apps.

A good app to get is Home Switcher. That way you can have several Home apps and switch as you want. You have the choice of making one your default or just launch the other Home. That way when you press the Home button, it'll take you back to the one you selected as default.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
I recently switched from Home++ to Helix. While the power strip was a nice feature of Home++, I am getting by with the four icons I can customize at the bottom of Helix. It is great to not have the force closes I had with Home++, and does not seem to lag as much either. I recommend Helix.

+1 with this assessment.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used Home ++ for months and uninstalled it when we thought we'd get 2.1 months ago. After uninstalling it I noticed how much faster everything ran without a home application mucking things up.

I downloaded Helix because I wanted more screens and it doesn't slow anything down and gives me the screens I want and the 4 apps you can dock at the bottom.

I hope they don't change it because it's perfect this way - simple and fast.

The Rick

Reaction score
i loved home++ but hated all the problems. I even tried to modify my setup constantly to make it happy but in the end, I went the rooted route and helix has been great ever since. The only thing I ever get force closes on now is beautiful widgets (v1.36)

stick1300

Reaction score
I've been using Home++ for a couple weeks now and I decided to give Helix a shot today. I like how much the App drawer loads (with Home++ it will open, but they'll be out of order, then it takes a couple seconds to sort it out, which is annoying) and double tapping to bring up the screen selector is nice (again, much quicker than Home++'s selector), but I think I'm going back to Home++, at least for the time being. I just really like endless scrolling and the flip clock/calendar widget that comes with H++