Having Trouble Copying Files to Galaxy Nexus From Computer Via USB

rjcapp

Reaction score
Try using dropbox.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

cruzincat

Reaction score
I was able to transfer music to the Nexus and four jpegs beforethe process became impossible. Music was still OK, but never any pics to any directory. Then I had a thought. I had not taken a picture with the camera yet. Maybe the proper directory wasn't there yet. So I took a pic and it created the DCIM subdirectories. After that I was able to transfer jpegs to Pictures, and two subdirectories in DCIM. I may have had the phone connected via USB when I took the picture with the camers.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Holy freaking crap am I having problems with this!!! So I had issues transfering files TO my GNex. So I planned to do a wipe to see if that helps. I copied my camera pictured to my laptops HDD with no issues. But when I go to copy my titanium backups for my new apps...theyre nowhere to be found. I've confirmed that they did back up. I tried backing up using Dropbox, but it fails. I tried copying the APKs manually using root explorer to both the titaniam backup directory and root directory...still wont show up in windows explorer when connected to my laptop. They show up in root explorer!!! UGH!!! I tried MTP and PTP multiple times. I am getting NOWHERE. I cant even do a freaking backup to restore my phone after I wipe it!!! SOO MAD :mad::mad::mad:

edit: FINALLY! e-mailing worked! This is friggin ridiculous though...stupid phone with no SD card slot :mad:

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Reaction score
How I fixed it.

Well I finally fixed my issue of copying files.

I made a backup using Clockwork recovery (reboots after), then I booted into clockwork recovery, cleared data, cash, and dalvik, then restored the backup. All in the same session.
Now I can copy files back and forth no problem.

REMEMBER to wipe the device from CLOCKWORK. If you wipe from stock recovery I believe it will wipe your SD card partition. Clockwork doesn't wipe the sd partition.
Now if I can just find time to tinker more with some of the awesome roms coming out!

whatsinaname

Reaction score
Well I finally fixed my issue of copying files.

I made a backup using Clockwork recovery (reboots after), then I booted into clockwork recovery, cleared data, cash, and dalvik, then restored the backup. All in the same session.
Now I can copy files back and forth no problem.

REMEMBER to wipe the device from CLOCKWORK. If you wipe from stock recovery I believe it will wipe your SD card partition. Clockwork doesn't wipe the sd partition.
Now if I can just find time to tinker more with some of the awesome roms coming out!

Well I lied. Tried to backup all my files again and fails. GRRRRRRRRR. Maybe time to switch to a new rom or something other than stock.

guammike

Reaction score
I had the same issue copying music to my phone using both Win7 and MacOS Lion. Adding movie files and pictures works normally. I did a factory reset of my phone and the problem continued. I deleted the music folder and created a new one called "Music" but it didn't fix the problem. I then created a new folder called "Music Library" and transfers work flawlessly from both Mac and Windows. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tarheel25

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I literally have spent probably 3-4 hours trying all sorts of "advice" on all kinds of forums. I spent an additional 90 minutes with tier 2 support with Verizon and still cannot even copy a 1KB text file to the phone. My only way to move anything to the phone has been using efile explorer and putting files on a ftp server then downloading to phone. And it takes forever. That is my only complaint about phone so far, so dumb not having an sd slot. Beyond stupid. So I finally got all my apps, settings, and pictures back on the phone, but need to move music over. Like 10-12GB worth too. So drop box not an option, and using the ftp stuff will take an eternity.

I am using Google Music so I can access the music from the cloud, but thats annoying and what if I dont have service? Any other suggestions?

martytoo

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I literally have spent probably 3-4 hours trying all sorts of "advice" on all kinds of forums. I spent an additional 90 minutes with tier 2 support with Verizon and still cannot even copy a 1KB text file to the phone. My only way to move anything to the phone has been using efile explorer and putting files on a ftp server then downloading to phone. And it takes forever. That is my only complaint about phone so far, so dumb not having an sd slot. Beyond stupid. So I finally got all my apps, settings, and pictures back on the phone, but need to move music over. Like 10-12GB worth too. So drop box not an option, and using the ftp stuff will take an eternity.

I am using Google Music so I can access the music from the cloud, but thats annoying and what if I dont have service? Any other suggestions?

Did you try WiFi File Explorer?

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

guammike

Reaction score
Problem with DRM

I spent a few days trying to figure out my problem. What I found, at least in my situation, was that if I copied over a music file protected by Apple's DRM the Nexus seemed to think that the directory was corrupt and removed it. Using "Android File Transfer" (I'm on a Mac) and ensuring no DRM music was selected resulted in perfect transfers. I have since picked up iSyncr and iSyncr WiFi and can wireless sync from iTunes as effortlessly as to an iPod except wirelessly. I have also uploaded my library to the Google cloud so I keep a part of my library on my Nexus (about 10 GB plus daily updated podcasts) but have access to everything else across the net. Anyway, hope this helps you out.

Jerrod6

Reaction score

I don’t know about copying music over. I use Google music and so I let it copy my itunes and music up to the cloud. If there is a song I want on the phone I select the option to save it to the phone instead of pulling it down.

I use Windows 7 and have now found out 2 ways to get information from my computer to my phone.

First Method:
Log on to Windows using a User id that has administrative privileges
Connect phone to PC. If the current drivers are not on your PC using windows 7 it will download the Samsung drivers.
The phone will show as a device in the file manager click on the phone device to see the folders.
Select the files from your PC you want to copy. Select the folder on the phone you want to copy to, but DO NOT OPEN THE FOLDER. Right click and select paste to paste the files into the target directory on the phone.

Second Method:
As some else mentioned use Wifi Explorer
This is neat, You download it from the market, start the app, give it your Wifi router secure password if you have one, it will then give you the IP address to enter into your web browser. I saved this address as a bookmark and named it browse phone.
With Wifi Explorer running on your phone , using your browser connect to the IP address of your router. The folders on your phone will be displayed right on your computer screen. From here you can select files to be downloaded from your PC to the phone and you can delete or manipulate files. I like this method because the phone can even be in another room of the house and you can still access it.