Handcent text messenger: double contacts

HwnDroid

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted if so I apologize, and please direct me to the correct thread. If not......

I did a factory reset (don't ask). Anyway, after importing my contacts, I now have "double" of all my contacts. When I go to compose in Handcent or even adding a pic to contact multiple viewings of the same contact shows up. Is there a fix to this error. I did go into my gmail account and deleted all the doubles but they are still on my phone.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
See if sync for your google account is not on automatic. If it isn't, check it on.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
If I may humbly reply, before you do/change anything I think the key thing to ask first is exactly how did you import your contacts? Signing back into and syncing your gmail account (and any others) is the best and only way I would recommend. If you used Titanium and/or My Backup Pro to restore them, that is very possibly the source of your problem.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Make sure no duplicates on your google account, in gmail, then do a factory data reset. When you log back in shouldn't have dups.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
HwnDroid

HwnDroid

Reaction score
Make sure no duplicates on your google account, in gmail, then "do a factory data reset". When you log back in shouldn't have dups.

Is that the same as what I did in the beginning? If it is I don't want to go that route again. If not, how do you do a Factory data reset?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yeah its pretty much the same. Does resyncing cause doubles to come back to your gmail account?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Chomp sms is better

Not sure how that helps??
Plus the issue isn't with handcent if you read the OP he has double contacts listed in contacts.

OP
HwnDroid

HwnDroid

Reaction score
Yes re syncing cause doubles to come back to my gmail account. So what I'm getting is that the only fix would be to clear all my duplicates in my gmail account first, Factory reset my phone and then sync? I might just have to live with the duplicates until there's a better way. I REALLY don't want to do a FR...again.

rebornlaxer...thanks for your 2 cents. Your opinion was duly noted but in no way relevant to my problem.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
May take time but delete the dups on you phone and gmail and then sync. I'm surprised the phone takes precedent over what's in your gmail. Without FR might just have to do it manually.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes re syncing cause doubles to come back to my gmail account. So what I'm getting is that the only fix would be to clear all my duplicates in my gmail account first, Factory reset my phone and then sync? I might just have to live with the duplicates until there's a better way. I REALLY don't want to do a FR...again.

rebornlaxer...thanks for your 2 cents. Your opinion was duly noted but in no way relevant to my problem.

+1 on the replies to rebornlaxer . . .

Odd, if we understand this corrctly, have you logged into your gmail account via a computer and taken a look at your contact list(s) there? When I was coming from my Napoleon (a WinMo) to the Droid, I synced my contacts to Outlook, exported them to a .csv file, then imported them to google into a newly created "My Contacts" folder. This was recommended so as to reduce dups and every email address you've ever sent from gmail ending up on your phone. I am pretty sure that the problem may be found in this manner. Then if it doesn't clean up on your phone, instead of doing a factory data reset, you can go to Menu -> Settings -> Accounts and sync -> and remove your google account there and then add it back in.

Worse case scenario is you can 'join' the contacts on your phone.

good luck

cmm1003

Reaction score
I just found this out today. Go into your Gmail. Then into contacts. Make sure the heading 'My Contacts is highlighted.' To the right you should see a window with two click-able buttons. Click on 'Find Duplicates.' When it locates duplicates click on merge contacts. Did this today and it got rid of all my duplicates. Your phone has to sync but it solves this problem.

Good luck!