Handcent problem

akj27

Reaction score
Whenever I get a text message, I have to open it with handcent, and with the messaging app that comes with the droid otherwise it'll keep showing up on my status bar thing. Anyway to fix that so that once I read it with handcent it stops showing up?

TIA

JKJK

Reaction score
Go into the settings for the Default Messenger service. Turn off notifications. Keep them on in Handcent application.

thundercats

Reaction score
Since I prefer reading/responding to all of my text messages with Handcent, I went into the default Messaging app and turned off the notifications for it. That way, I don't get "double notifications" (one for Handcent and one for Messaging). This way, you will only get notified from Handcent, and once you respond to the text message with Handcent, the notification window should be all clear.

LordKastle

Reaction score
What is it about Handcent that has its benefits over the default messenger? I have tried it but I do not like the Bubble text, so I default to the Android anyway.

Is there something extra you can do with Handcent that is not possible in the default messenger? With attachments or anything else...

Danthok

Reaction score
You can set the LED color/flash frequency, background, message colors, text color, pretty much a complete customization tool. The interface is a little easier too IMO, oh and I hate the bubble text too mine is set to android style conversation.

thundercats

Reaction score
Plus you can save MMS messages and attachments directly from the message. It also has the quick edit mode which is really nice when you decide to respond to a text message. I also really like the fact that you can do speech-to-text with Handcent. That way if i don't want to type my message out, I can just say whatever I want and it translates it into text for my message.

LordKastle

Reaction score
You can't save in the default messenger?

Either way---I am re-downloading this app.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
I don't like the bubbles either.. Android interface is the way to go.

Don't need any Apple styled gayness on my Droid :D

One few features that haven't been mentioned about Handcent in this thread are:

Can send voice to text messages: great for a quick response at a red light or etc.

Batch texts

Customizable fonts

LordKastle

Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why Apple is even an option? If I wanted a child's toy I could easily go to AT&T and get my fix.

Is there anyway to rename "Handcent" on the home screen? If not, oh well...Just set my customizations.

G

godanigo

Yeah I don't understand why Apple is even an option? If I wanted a child's toy I could easily go to AT&T and get my fix.

Is there anyway to rename "Handcent" on the home screen? If not, oh well...Just set my customizations.

Leave the messaging app on your home screen and when you open it, it will give you options of what to open (ie, Handcent, Chomp SMS, Google Voice or Messaging). Select Handcent and check the always use this box.

kev83202

Reaction score
other things that handcent does it give you a pop up message that allows you to quickly respond. Also when you are sending a message click menu and hit the speak button. Now you can speak your text message :)

G

godanigo

Bump for the answer to this. I was wondering the same thing. I want to put Handcent on my wifes droid, but I want it to still say "messaging".

I just answered your question. Read the whole thread.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Bump for the answer to this. I was wondering the same thing. I want to put Handcent on my wifes droid, but I want it to still say "messaging".

I just answered your question. Read the whole thread.

I want to know how to RENAME the Handcent app on my homescreen, not make it the default messaging program. I already have done what you are talking about, its keeps you from getting double notifications.