Handbrake Altervative for Mac?

Laramie

Reaction score
I'm using Handbrake now for my conversions. Either I'm really missing something, or with Handbrake you can't make the resolution for ripping my DVDs greater than 720x480.

Thoughts?

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm using Handbrake now for my conversions. Either I'm really missing something, or with Handbrake you can't make the resolution for ripping my DVDs greater than 720x480.

Thoughts?

You have to play with the settings a bit.
720x480 is the max that is supported on the current iPod/iPhone models.
You could try starting with the AppleTV profile in Handbrake.

Also keep in mind that DVDs are usually not bigger than that in resolution.

DVD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although many resolutions and formats are supported, most consumer DVD Video discs use either 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, stored at a resolution of 720/704×480 (NTSC) or 720/704×576 (PAL) at 29.97, 25, or 23.976 FPS

dodgemaniac

Reaction score
i put one on my droid that i did using the ipod touch settings and it looks pretty good

OP
Laramie

Laramie

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Although many resolutions and formats are supported, most consumer DVD Video discs use either 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, stored at a resolution of 720/704×480 (NTSC) or 720/704×576 (PAL) at 29.97, 25, or 23.976 FPS

Thank you. So really, 720x480 will be fine for DVDs, the higher resolution would only be needed for videos that are encoded at the higher res?

i put one on my droid that i did using the ipod touch settings and it looks pretty good

I've been using the ipod touch setting for making DVD rips for my wife's ipod touch, I'll have to see how they look soon as my Droid arrives tomorrow.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thoughts?

Thank you. So really, 720x480 will be fine for DVDs, the higher resolution would only be needed for videos that are encoded at the higher res?

I've been using the ipod touch setting for making DVD rips for my wife's ipod touch, I'll have to see how they look soon as my Droid arrives tomorrow.

The 720x480 is ok for DVDs. Some do have a slightly higher resolution, so you could play around with the settings in Handbrake though.

The trailers I have in my "movie trailer" thread on these forums are all done from Quicktime HD trailers, which is why they are full-screen.

The iPod Touch files look great too, but of course because they are half the resolution of the Droid screen, the player will upscale them to fill the screen. While still good to watch (I often watch my iPod Touch optimized files on my 32" TV) the main advantage over using a higher resolution is the smaller filesize. You can fit more than double the amount of movies on your Droid this way.

bnaguy

Reaction score
i've tried using handbrake for windows to convert avi to mp4 for droid. but all that plays is sound, no video. any help?