Guide to update the Droid Incredible manually

J

JohnDroid

droid-incredible-update.jpg

If you have not received the OTA update just yet and your feeling a little bit left out in the cold or for whatever reason feel like manually updating, we've got the steps for ya. Thanks to some help from Android Central here they are:

1. Grab the OTA file here.
  2. Make sure it's named update.zip
  3. Copy it to the root (base directory) of your SD card. Don't put it in any folders, and don't put it on the internal memory.
  4. Shut your phone off
  5. While holding the volume down button, turn the phone back on.
  6. In the white Bootloader screen, select recovery from the list.
  7. In the recovery screen (the triangle with exclamation mark), press volume up and power. You'll go to the recovery menu.
  8. In the recovery menu, select "apply sdcard:update.zip"
  9. The phone will find the file, and when finished prompt you to reboot. Reboot via the menu, then patiently wait for the phone to reboot, and enjoy.

(Source: Android Central

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions! However, IF YOU WANT TO ROOT YOUR PHONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA OR MANUALLY APPLY IT. At the moment there is no workaround to get root after the OTA. Devs are working on it, but VZW made it very tough for them.

Incredibilly

Reaction score
Wonder if they push a bs update to test their lock and see how long it takes the dev world to crack it... and maybe start isolating vulnerabilities for future lockdowns.
It's what I would do... but then I get paid to think about that kind of stuff.

sent from my Incredible Andriod phone using DroidForums App.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great news! UnrEVOked expects to have root capabilities for the OTA ready within a day or two. So, if you want to root, just hold off on accepting the update for a few more days.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wonder if they push a bs update to test their lock and see how long it takes the dev world to crack it... and maybe start isolating vulnerabilities for future lockdowns.
It's what I would do... but then I get paid to think about that kind of stuff.

sent from my Incredible Andriod phone using DroidForums App.

No, they don't do that. You guys that think outside the box sometimes think outside the planet too. :)