GPS unreliable- Any Ideas To Fix Before I Switch?

Audiophobe

Reaction score
I have had poor gps performance on my S 3.
- It takes a lomg time to "Search for GPS".
- It itermitantly loses signal.
AND, I WONDER IF THIS HAPPENS TO ANYONE ELSE:
- It will intermitantly think that it's a street over and give instructions as though I was there.
This was particulary disasterous today on my to and from the airport picking up my son.
My wife's Droid (the original old 1st gen.), my daughter's iPhone 4S, and my son's Stratosphere all have worked when mine failed.
The phone works flawlessy otherwise. I bought the phone used a few weeks ago and I found out that my phone was rooted and wondered if that could be the problem.
I was hoping to get a resolution to this otherwise I am planning to sell it and maybe move to a Razer, DNA or Note.
I am navigationally impared and rely on my GPS greatly.
Can anyone help?

ellipsis

Reaction score
Since the JB update I've had pretty horrible GPS issues. Navigation was just ok and Maps wouldn't lock on to my location any closer than about a mile radius. I tried an app I used to use on my X2 over a year ago called GPS Status. Seems to have fixed it on my S3, although now there's a notification that shows up whenever my GPS is active. Try going into tools>manage>reset and then tools>manage>download. Locks on right away for me now. On my X2 I had to do that about once a week so I'm not sure if that's been fixed in the app yet.

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Since the JB update I've had pretty horrible GPS issues. Navigation was just ok and Maps wouldn't lock on to my location any closer than about a mile radius. I tried an app I used to use on my X2 over a year ago called GPS Status. Seems to have fixed it on my S3, although now there's a notification that shows up whenever my GPS is active. Try going into tools>manage>reset and then tools>manage>download. Locks on right away for me now. On my X2 I had to do that about once a week so I'm not sure if that's been fixed in the app yet.

Thanks!!!!
I just downloaded via the Play Store. I'm excited because I got the feeling that the Navigator just needed calibration since it usually (or at least very often) works flawlessly so this may be what I am looking for.
I'll try it for a while and report back if anyone else is interested.
I also saw: GPS Status- Test and Fix which was reviewed well. I'll try it if this one doesn't work.
Can you explain the complaint of running in background/can't turn off that some reviewer mentioned? I didn't see that complaint on the above app.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like the issue is with Samsung phones as far as the app constantly running. But it doesn't really affect battery life.

ellipsis

Reaction score
Looks like the issue is with Samsung phones as far as the app constantly running. But it doesn't really affect battery life.

Yeah, it never showed up unless I opened it on my X/X2/Bionic, but every time the GPS connects on my S3 the app shows up in the notification area. I haven't noticed any shortened battery life though, just perfect GPS signal so far.