Google's Android 5.0 Lollipop Quick Detail Summary

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lollipop-Forest.jpg

First up we have Android 5.0 which is officially labeled Lollipop. Android Lollipop will focus on improved security and Google's new Material Design UI layout. It also will include several new battery saver enhancements, as well as the ability to enable multiple user accounts, including guest accounts.

Here's a quote from the Google Blog with a brief summary,

"Lollipop is made for a world where moving throughout the day means interacting with a bunch of different screens—from phones and tablets to TVs. With more devices connecting together, your expectation is that things just work. With Lollipop, it’s easier than ever to pick up where you left off, so the songs, photos, apps, and even recent searches from one of your Android devices can be immediately enjoyed across all the other ones."

We can't wait to dive right into Google's new mobile OS. Google indicated that it, "...will also be available on Nexus 5, 7, 10 and Google Play edition devices in the coming weeks."

Source: Google Blog

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Why in coming weeks for their nexus devices? Isn't this going against what they said they would do for those devices. Its really irritating!

Also, I want the Nexus 6. Would upgrade right now if it was available.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I will never forget what Verizon did to their only other Nexus. Not holding my breath...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jesus... some people are ridiculously impatient. Could they put it on the new unreleased flagships first? You can't wait a few WEEKS? My god...

NO! WE HAVE TO HAVE THE LATEST AND GREATEST PHONE THAT IS BARELY DIFFERENT THAN THE PHONE WE ALREADY HAVE SO THAT WE CAN SHOW OUR FRIENDS WHO ALSO HAVE THE SAME PHONE HOW COOL WE ARE!!!

HAHA

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jesus... some people are ridiculously impatient. Could they put it on the new unreleased flagships first? You can't wait a few WEEKS? My god...
You do realize this is predominantly a Verizon users forum right? You know the carrier that "a few weeks" really means a few months, it'll be laced with bugs only to be fixed in a few more months, only to be abandoned about the time the update that had the fixes was to push?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I do know that a lot of people are always whining that "I want the new update!!!" and when I ask "why? What feature do you want?" it's almost always the same reply.
"I don't know..."

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do know that a lot of people are always whining that "I want the new update!!!" and when I ask "why? What feature do you want?" it's almost always the same reply.
"I don't know..."
Thing is most new native Android features will have already been available in the form of an aftermarket app of some kind. Heck I had an app, SavetoSD, long before Android let us save media content in our Gmail to our devices and like I said in another thread the mini notification thing came stock on my G2 without an aftermarket app and I'd been using a widget to knock off my screen long before Moto and LG made it a part of their firmware along with another app to tap the light sensor to wake it up.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

pritchie1956.pr

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I am hoping that those of us who purchased Moto Gs and Moto Xs directly from Motorola will get Lollipop when or right after Nexus 6 becomes available. Does anyone know anything about that?

I know exactly what I want from Android L. It's that "new toy feeling" that I get every time I get a Google update.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Just downloaded version 5.1 from 5.01.

I can't see any differences, can anyone explain what they are???

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just downloaded version 5.1 from 5.01.

I can't see any differences, can anyone explain what they are???

Behind the scenes bug fixes are the major differences, so you're not going to see those.

Beyond that, there are a few other things (some of which you'll see, some of which you won't): support for Voice over LTE (VoLTE), adjustments to the quick settings, improvements to screen pinning, Device Protection, adjustments to the volume/interruptions, and some minor UI tweaks here and there.