Android 5.0 Lollipop: Five 'Less Advertised' New Features

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-6-lollipop.png

A great deal of energy has been focused in discussing some of the new features of Google's new mobile OS, Android 5.0 Lollipop. Most of the media and PR attention has focused on the "Material Design" UI, improved Gmail and improved apps & app support. It turns out there are some other pretty handy new things about Android 5.0 that are "less advertised," yet still deserve more than a courtesy eye-brow nod.

Here are five of the most notable features that you might not know are coming in Lollipop:
  • Kill Switch - this is something that has received some media attention outside of Android 5.0 specifically. We knew that Google was planning to bring this to Android, but Lollipop is the feature's grand entrance. Kill Switch will basically allow users can remotely disable and/or wipe the information on their Android 5.0 device. They can also require a password whenever someone tries to reset the device.
  • Lollipop can run on almost any Android device - this is uncommon knowledge, but it turns out that the latest version of Android is designed with a minimalist digital footprint in mind. Google is striving to reduce the dreaded "fragmentation" curse, and Lollipop was designed to work on nearly any Android capable device as long as it has a minimum of 512MB of RAM or more. Whether the various OEMs will take advantage of this remains to be seen.
  • Priority Mode - This is a handy new organizational function built into Lollipop. With Android 5.0, you can now customize which notifications show up on your lock screen. Not only can you prioritize whether you want Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter, you can also even choose which contacts' calls come through. This functionality even includes a gaming/movie mode in which you can choose to include a smaller notification which will pop up at the top of the screen, instead of interrupting your entertainment.
  • User Profiles - This is the same feature that Google originally implemented only on their tablets. It basically allows you to create separate user profiles on your device, so if you let someone else use it, they won't have access to your personal stuff. This feature will now work on Android phones as well as tablets. It has been enhanced even further though. It now includes a new feature which allows you to have a “home” and “work” profile which has different sets of data on a single device.
  • Battery Life Saver function - This is definitely a little advertised new feature of Android 5.0. The OS has a built-in functionality which reduces your CPU load and display brightness when you are low on battery life. This will supposedly eke out up to another 90 minutes of time in those dire situations when you will need it before you can charge it.
These are only a few of Android Lollipop's newest functions that have flown a bit under the radar. Can you think of anymore?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh man... These are some HUGE upgrades to the OS, not just what you've shown above but the others I've seen. This is Android coming of age, IMHO. Built-in Kill is a security feature that I'm sure will be welcomed by the corporate world and help to push out Apple and Blackberry as preferred secure devices.

Lollipop being so portable, could it mean a version for the OGD and some other early phones that were really home-runs? I'd love to see Lollipop running on my OGD, and I'm sure there are others who loved their old phones and that would dust off a prior phone if it could run this OS, such as the Bionic users for instance. Frankly, I woudn't mind considering carrying the Droid RAZR either (not the MAXX), if it would run Lollipop, and get a much lighter, incredibly thinner phone, yes - with a smaller battery but perhaps not a big issue given the power-sipping aspect of 5.0, and retire the MAXX to the desk drawer.

Priority mode is a great enhancement. I often wonder what those Icons are on the screen, and also wish I could see some and not see others. The multiple item notification screen will be a huge step up as well.

User profiles...thank you, thank you, thank you! I would LOVE to be able to hand my phone to someone and let them play to their heart's content without being concerned that they are poking around in my business email (which is protected by US and PA banking law and the Privacy Act). As it is now, I can't hand it to anyone as I would be violating several federal and state laws and the rights of my clients, as well as breeching my company's corporate secrecy.

Battery Live Saver - Nobody needs to question how big of an advocate I am of proper battery care, so even though this feature is powerful (pardon the pun), I would hope most would shy away from it unless absolutely necessary. Given the new Turbo and Turbo Charge, as well as Samsung's version, the move toward quick charging and away from "wall hugging" is welcome and may reduce the need for such a feature however it's nice to have in a pinch.

However, anytime you quick charge these Lithium Ion batteries, you are essentially shortening their lifespan, so I would also encourage everyone to use it sparingly and instead try to run on just the normal overnight charges if at all possible. With the advancement in battery technology and much larger capacity batteries coming in these devices (more densly packed, not necessarily proportionally physically larger), this problem may be going away soon for good. YAY!!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
...loved their old phones and that would dust off a prior phone if it could run this OS, such as the Bionic users for instance.
This x100.

I don't think I'd ever downgrade from my G2...but if it quit working and Verizon ****ed me on the warranty, I could go go back to the Bionic that's still sitting in my drawer. As it stands, the official version of ICS on it is crap and it lags like all hell. If Lollipop can fix that, I may just use it like a Roku or Chromecast for my TV, seeing as I never really got to use the HDMI feature of it back then.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I am well aware of all the kill switch issues people have brought up but I for one like it. If someone stole my phone I like the fact that I will be able to kill it. I may not necessarily get my phone back but no one else will get it either. Sadly though, with me rooting my phone and having TWRP on it, wiping it will probably still be possible. Then again, I rarely ever use root stuff anymore so I may start running a stock phone. Never thought I'd say that.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This x100.

I don't think I'd ever downgrade from my G2...but if it quit working and Verizon ****ed me on the warranty, I could go go back to the Bionic that's still sitting in my drawer. As it stands, the official version of ICS on it is crap and it lags like all hell. If Lollipop can fix that, I may just use it like a Roku or Chromecast for my TV, seeing as I never really got to use the HDMI feature of it back then.

You know, you brought up another good point. Many of the earlier phones that suffered lag issues weren't suffering because of hardware shortcomings, but because of poor adaptation of the custom versions of Android. With a totally portable version that works equally well across the myriad of platforms, it could revive even some phones that had poor reputations.

Also, think of the aftermarket of all those earlier phones. Suddenly there not ancient and outdated but instead are either high-performing entry level or good stable mid-line phones that can be had at a bargain price.

Maybe it's time to start collecting some of the higher end hardware devices of past and getting ready for the biggest cross-platform upgrade in Android history.

Talk about a publicity stunt! That would be national and international news that would outshine the introduction of the iPhone.

Another benefit would be third world countries. Still another would be those less fortunate who can't afford a smartphone at today's prices but really do need the security and convenience such as single parents and others. They could get a phone for next to nothing (or even nothing), and put it on a very low cost plan that is pay as you go and the market share of Android just leaped millions.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I may just use it like a Roku or Chromecast for my TV, seeing as I never really got to use the HDMI feature of it back then.

That is an excellent idea, I'm trying to decide between an HTPC or one of the hundreds of android media sticks/boxes on the market...

this may be the best idea yet

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
User Profiles? Not so much. Nobody touches my phone....unless I'm right there showing them something. I will never have a need to completely hand over my device to anyone for any length of time.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is really incredible if you think about it. iPhone users have enjoyed ALL getting the next iteration of the iOS on whatever device they had, and we've (Android loyals), had to suffer through so much fragmentation and features over here that didn't work over there, apps that work on this but don't work on that, phones that worked great on this earlier version of Android but now lag like a 100 year old turtle on that new one...

Would it not be a totally revolutionary and an iPhone-squashing move if Google introduced and pushed out a Universal upgrade to 5.0 for ALL devices - no matter how old, that as long as they were compatible with the specific cellular carriers' networks (i.e. maybe 3G digital or better), and as long as they met the minimum requirement specs for the OS (i.e 512Mb)? That would be newsworthy in such a grand scale, that it would be front-page news across the entire globe. I could just see Apple stocks tanking... Good thing I sold my Apple stock today (70 shares, 2.00 =/- per share).

jakenader123

Reaction score
This is really incredible if you think about it. iPhone users have enjoyed ALL getting the next iteration of the iOS on whatever device they had, and we've (Android loyals), had to suffer through so much fragmentation and features over here that didn't work over there, apps that work on this but don't work on that, phones that worked great on this earlier version of Android but now lag like a 100 year old turtle on that new one...

Would it not be a totally revolutionary and an iPhone-squashing move if Google introduced and pushed out a Universal upgrade to 5.0 for ALL devices - no matter how old, that as long as they were compatible with the specific cellular carriers' networks (i.e. maybe 3G digital or better), and as long as they met the minimum requirement specs for the OS (i.e 512Mb)? That would be newsworthy in such a grand scale, that it would be front-page news across the entire globe. I could just see Apple stocks tanking... Good thing I sold my Apple stock today (70 shares, 2.00 =/- per share).
Google promised this with android kit Kat and its for newer low spec devices not old ones, OEMS and carriers just have to much control this will never happen. I would say get a Motorola device because they use stock android and Motorola is gonna be the next Samsung, cuz Samsung doesn't offer as smooth of an expirence as stock android or any other OEMS and refuse to remove the out of date touch wiz that will be on android 5.0.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google promised this with android kit Kat and its for newer low spec devices not old ones, OEMS and carriers just have to much control this will never happen. I would say get a Motorola device because they use stock android and Motorola is gonna be the next Samsung, cuz Samsung doesn't offer as smooth of an expirence as stock android or any other OEMS and refuse to remove the out of date touch wiz that will be on android 5.0.

I hear you and don't tend to disagree, but I hope both yours and my suspicions are not so right. Consider this... So maybe Samsung won't create a 5.0 without touchwiz, but what about a pure vanilla 5.0 that's offered by Google and 100% compatible with the S3/S4, for instance? Then the owner(s), would have the "option" to flash that ROM into their phone and not only enjoy the tremendous upgrades it would afford them, but also wipe Touchwiz off at the same time? Then Samsung may be compelled to make a flashable update that would insert Touchwiz back onto those phones, not too much different really, than we already do to a certain extent with custom ROMs and then flashing the GAPPS.

Maybe I'm simplifying it beyond what is feasible, but I do believe it could be done...heck, I know it could be done. There's almost NOTHING that CAN'T be done with programming if the objective is made mandatory. Still, being a Moto Fanboy I wouldn't mind if it was at least that way for all Motorola phones! :D

Edit: In fact, how powerful a chess-piece move that would be by Lenovo/Google, given their close relationship? Suddenly all prior Motorola phones going back to the OGD are all given 5.0?! What a right-hook and to the mat that would be. That would catapult Google/Android AND Motorola/Lenovo into the forefront, something that at least Motorola has yet to enjoy fully, and I'm sure something that Lenovo and Google both would welcome with open arms.

The game of the century.

37. Ke1 Bb4+

Last edited:

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
And to tack onto what FoxKat is saying...it's entirely feasible that a lot of custom developers would port vanilla 5.0 to older, popular devices just to challenge themselves for the hell of it. Or maybe people put bounties on 5.0 for a particular device, which might prompt a developer to do it for a couple hundred bucks.

There are a lot of possibilities and I'm really looking forward to seeing this play out. :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm curious about encryption on 5.0.

Now that it is standard will everyone have to use a pin when on the lockscreen?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Hmmmm Would be cool to bring my minty mint Droid X out of retirement just for grins and giggles. Still have much love for the X. It is the only smartphone I have owned, and I have had many, that I don't have the heart to sell.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

To have my Incredible and Rezound become usable again after becoming fragged after their last Verizon pushed updates? Man that'd be too fabulous to even imagine.
An end to Android fragmentation? The carriers and manufacturers will never allow that but we can always dream. I'm giddy just thinking the fact that my Inc could become relevant and useful again.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of minimalist ROM's, so the fact that Google is going back to basics is awesome. I don't use, and have never really used, the majority of their apps.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2