Google voice?

xxtwentytwo

Reaction score
So Google voice came up in a conversation. I just wanted to get other peoples opinions on it. Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons? Should I get it? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I don't know of any cons, but having visual voicemail is nice in addition to having another number to dial out with. Free texting too.

OP
X

xxtwentytwo

Reaction score
How is the texting? Do you use another number for that too? And do you NEED WiFi? I'm confused xD

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You choose an available number (it will spit out what is available after you type in what you would like your number to be) and it can use data (3G/4G) or wifi. The texting is done with the Google Voice app and is pretty straight forward. I am not sure if you still need an invite for Google Voice, but I'm pretty sure they opened it up to everybody so you should be ready to sign up.

OP
X

xxtwentytwo

Reaction score
Im using it right now. And with 3g speeds its really slow. Am I doing something or are my settings wrong ? Or is that just how it is?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

Natey2

Reaction score
I hear GV only does sms (text), not mms (pics, etc.)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There's a news thread I posted a few days ago about google voice working on mms

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Just for the visual voicemail alone its nice.... but even when i have to play it.... its so much easier than dialing up, entering code blah blah. I just hit play.... i can also delete without playing.

I dont use the gv # but its always an option.... i got a number that matches my original number (with the exception of the area code is different.... the last 7 are the same)

I will probably make the switch over to the gv number if i ever have to change my number again.

sent from my droid x while driving.....thank you tapatalk for making this possible

OP
X

xxtwentytwo

Reaction score
Hi thanks for all of the responses. But Im still left wondering about the speed of sms.? And there is a setting to recieve messenges via GV or also via the messaging app. Would I be charged for using only GV?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks for all of the responses. But Im still left wondering about the speed of sms.? And there is a setting to recieve messenges via GV or also via the messaging app. Would I be charged for using only GV?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

If you only use Google Voice, its free. You can also forward the texts to your messaging app, but it costs money if you don't have an unlimited texting plan.

Text messages get to the phone pretty fast, but since its data, if you don't have good signal, its harder to send a GV text than it is a real one.

Boot Manager

xavierpunkreno

Reaction score
Can you make and receive calls over wifi or would I need another app for that (i.e. Talkatone for iPhone)?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you make and receive calls over wifi or would I need another app for that (i.e. Talkatone for iPhone)?

There are other apps you use for that that work with Google Voice. The name escapes me at the moment though

Boot Manager