google voice, is it google or verizon?

thinkmega

Reaction score
A few days I just defended google voice while one of the members complaint about missing calls and slow text messages.

Today I got a taste of what it is like!

Slow, extremely slow text message delivery is the problem today. At times it takes over 30 minutes for the message to arrive. Practically it is not usable at all.

I don't know if this is isolated problem or others experienced the same thing. I work in NYC, by the way.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few days I just defended google voice while one of the members complaint about missing calls and slow text messages.

Today I got a taste of what it is like!

Slow, extremely slow text message delivery is the problem today. At times it takes over 30 minutes for the message to arrive. Practically it is not usable at all.

I don't know if this is isolated problem or others experienced the same thing. I work in NYC, by the way.

It's Google Voice. It happens from time to time. But most of the time it's pretty reliable.

It's a free app. You really can't complain much when it's free.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Free is the hook to attract people. If it is not reliable, people will walk away.

It could be verizon though. When I tested using two PC text each other (different gv #s), it got delivered within 1-2 minutes. But the phone is like deaf.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Free is the hook to attract people. If it is not reliable, people will walk away.

It could be verizon though. When I tested using two PC text each other (different gv #s), it got delivered within 1-2 minutes. But the phone is like deaf.

I've sent them by PC too and have them received several hours later. Verizon has nothing to do with the texting from the app.

I've been using Google Voice for two years now, used it with my Blackberry Storm and I saw it happen there to. It's just something that happens rarely. Verizon didn't design the app, Google did. If anything goes wrong how can it be Verizons fault?

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score

I've sent them by PC too and have them received several hours later. Verizon has nothing to do with the texting from the app.

I've been using Google Voice for two years now, used it with my Blackberry Storm and I saw it happen there to. It's just something that happens rarely. Verizon didn't design the app, Google did. If anything goes wrong how can it be Verizons fault?

so you are having the same problem today? since pc to pc messaging appears to be fine, i thought the bottleneck was at verizon.

nonetheless, this gv thing is tricky! i mean, if you turn on text forwarding to your email account, it seems the delivery is quicker.

i attribute that to the failure of "push". maybe this is not the right time to do debugging. let them fix the problem first .... tomorrow is another day.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
Last night my wife called and Gizmo 5 on my PC rang but not my droid. I let the call go to voicemail and the voicemail notification was delivered right away. weird.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Here is the symptom:

It's very slow for text message travel between Droid -> Google Voice -> Droid, IF:
1. you do not leave the Google voice app on;
2. you do not have the text forward to your email option checked;

The speed between PC->Google Voice->PC is normal, within 1-2 min range.

It seems the gateway that broadcasts the text message to the phone network is not "pushing" the messages out. However, I do not know who owns this facility, GOOGLE or VERIZON.

The problem is still lingering today, very annoying.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It happens from time to time. But most of the time it's pretty reliable.
This. Slow delivery has been pretty rare for me. I just received a text message on my Droid and in Chrome at the same time so I don't think this is a universal issue.

so you are having the same problem today? since pc to pc messaging appears to be fine, i thought the bottleneck was at verizon.
Sync between GV and your device is still Google's ball. Unless all of your data is affected, it isn't Verzion. I mean, Verizon is not singling out packets of data specific to Google Voice to create the delay. GV uses data. Verizon just supplies the pipe in this case. It's not like messaging with the stock app (or Handcent/Chomp/etc) which heavily relies on Verizon's network and messaging infrastructure.

nonetheless, this gv thing is tricky! i mean, if you turn on text forwarding to your email account, it seems the delivery is quicker.
SMS Forwarding is also faster. I used this as a workaround before GV had sync and generally faster delivery times.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
The problem is still lingering or getting worse today.

I sent myself a test message from PC this morning, it didn't hit my phone until hours later when I opened the gv app. Very bad.

And there is no outage announcement or its kind anywhere. I guess they must have screwed up BIG in their server room.

kenstuff411

Reaction score
My Droid X does the same thing. But only on Wifi that I am aware of. When I use Wifi, I have to keep pushing the refresh in GV app to get my text messages. When I turn off wifi and run on 3G. The messages come without delay. So don't know what is going there.

jnew

Reaction score
Getting the same thing on my droid. Frustrating.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App