Google Updates Play Music Device Policy, Limits Device Swapping

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
playmusic.jpg

Yesterday Google made some changes to their Play Music device policy that did not sit well with some of their customers. In a nutshell, the new policy limits the number of linked devices you may deauthorize from your account in any given year to four. Google's policy allows for up to 10 devices to be authorized on your account at any given time, but once you exhaust all 10 slots you are limited to 4 deauthorizations per year. The updated policy immediately came under fire, not only from users who switch devices often, but also from modders who frequently switch ROMs. The latter can sometimes fool the Play Market into thinking you have a new device. In response, Google stated that "We limit the number of times you can swap out new devices at the request of some of our music partners in an effort to limit abuse" and that "we understand this has caused some issues for users who often deauthorize and reauthorize the same device, and we are currently re-implementing the solution in a way that works for our users and music partners". For now it seems that Google has lifted the limit while they work on implementing a compromise. We'll keep you updated.

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
That sucks. I hope they figure out a solution because I did run into this problem about a month ago since I was constantly flashing roms, and just deactivated the other accounts when I realized what was happening.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I believe Google has removed the limit for now, until they can rework their policies regarding multiple devices.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm sure this is the work of the industry.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling this wouldn't last long, but one day? Kudos to Google for removing this until they figure out a way to identify devices better. The way they do it now is unacceptable.

Serial number or MEID should work just fine. This will make the record labels happy and us custom modders happy as well.