Google Tightening Grip on Android - Less Open, "Open Source"

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I mean, really, the fact that the only way Microsoft can get people to use Bing is by FORCING them to use it really says all that needs to be said about the product.

jacobbond

Reaction score
Yes get rid of the bloatware!!! I don't think Google is trying to be evil, they are just trying to protect the integrity of their product. Yes it is open source but that doesn't mean companies are free to modify it to make it something not even resembling Android anymore.

cpjr

Reaction score
I think its very funny that this is exactly what Apple has always done and EVERYBODY HATES them for it.

Now, Googles is swaying that way and everyone says "I think it will be a good thing".

Personally, it doesnt really bother me. I am just amazed at how people react, not because of the issue, but because of "who" the issue is.

VannMann

Reaction score
One of the two reasons I bought my Thunderbolt was for SenseUI. I like it, and I don't see what any of the manufacturers should be banned from putting their own UI on top of Android..

Great, you like Sense UI.

But tell me...why cant I have the option of uninstalling it without having to root and ROM? THAT is why this is a good thing. UI add-ons should be an opt-in process, not the other way around. If the UI is so great, then people will be happy to use it willingly. Right?

I despise Motoblur, and the fact that the Droid 1 doesnt have it was a key reason I bought the phone.

And then there is the Galaxy S thing with Bing and no Google...I wont be sorry to see situations like that come to an end either. Bing is probably the one thing I hate more than Motoblur.

I didn't write that, lol. I think you quoted wrong.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bing on any device is not right. I dont even know how Bing is still alive...every single person I know who has used it is either indifferent or hates it. I have never met a single person who has told me "OMG Bing is so awesome!!11!1!!"

Same boat here. Google is synonymous with "search". Yahoo went the way of the dinosaur and I see no reason why Bing won't. Don't get me wrong, competition is good...

Even with the iPhone... they just "Google" it. dancedroid

JeffDenver

Reaction score
On its worst day Google is not as bossy as Apple is. Not by a long shot.

How many apps has Google banned so far because they dont like the content? How many multi-media platforms has Google banned because of an ideological agenda?

Sorry, Apple is way way worse. Even now.

cpjr

Reaction score
On its worst day Google is not as bossy as Apple is. Not by a long shot.

How many apps has Google banned so far because they dont like the content? How many multi-media platforms has Google banned because of an ideological agenda?

Sorry, Apple is way way worse. Even now.

Did I say they were the same? Did I even try to imply it...no.

This is the direction they are going. End of story. Doesnt mean they will ever be as bad, doesnt mean they wont.

So calm down.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
This is the direction they are going. End of story.

I disagree that they are going in the direction of banning apps they dont like or platforms they dont like. I have seen zero evidence of that.

cpjr

Reaction score
This is the direction they are going. End of story.

I disagree that they are going in the direction of banning apps they dont like or platforms they dont like. I have seen zero evidence of that.

Ok, lets get off the app discussion, since this thread has nothing to do with it.

We are talking about the OS, Apple's OS has a deathgrip on it and now Google is trying to tighten the belt on theirs. How is that not heading in the same direction?

SkullOne

Reaction score
One of the two reasons I bought my Thunderbolt was for SenseUI. I like it, and I don't see what any of the manufacturers should be banned from putting their own UI on top of Android. Other Linux distros do it all the time.

This isn't going to kick manufacturers in the butt to get them to put out new updates to their older phones. Samsung will still be Samsung as far as updates are concerned. So will Motorola and HTC.

Honestly if I wanted every phone to be exactly the same looking and feeling when I turned it on, I'd just get an iPhone. Touchwiz, Moto/ninja blur, SenseUI etc are what sets these phones apart. Get rid of that ability and I'm not certain so many companies will be making Android based smartphones.

This will NOT solve the so called fragmentation issue. This "problem" stems from 1) older hardware not being capable of running the latest OS versions without issues and 2) Why would anyone think not having Touchwiz on a phone will make Samsung update the software on their already sold phones any faster?

So much for "Open" huh?

This is both good and bad. I'm all for this though depending on what Google wants to do.

Google has made it very clear in the past that they want Android to be a standalone object in the Android world. Anything else should be an installable program. Sense, Blur and Touchwiz should be able to be turned off completely or even uninstalled.

I think what we're seeing is Google wanting companies like HTC, Moto, and Samsung to not muck around in the source code by building Sense, Blur, Touchwiz directly into the system and causing dependencies. That way updates can happen faster. If the base code on the device is still relatively close to what is on AOSP then updates comes quicker.

Look at the Tmobile Theme Engine on Github. That's the way themes should be done. That's what I think Google vision for Android is. Keep Android open for all to use but get people to modularize it. That way fragmentation is kept to a minimum.

Sure you have EOL devices that can't run newer versions but that's to be expected. The Droid is a perfect example. However, I also think the Droid got a fair number of updates during its lifetime. 2.0.0 was stock. 2.0.1 came next. Then 2.1. Then 2.2. Then 2.2.1 and 2.2.2. That's pretty good when you think about.

I also think part of this is to stop companies like Samsung from stringing their customers along in order to get the updates out there. Once again this would start bringing fragmentation under control.

Just don't forget that every system has fragmentation. It's inevitable. The key is controlling it to the best of your ability and if Google needs to exert a little bit of control to do it then I say so be it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's 'end of story' either.

There needed to be some accountability of Google's part to ensure a high quality product... I think this is a great step toward it.

Is it all rainbows and unicorns? No, there are negatives to it as well, but overall I think it will only improve the end product for consumers.

cpjr

Reaction score
PS- And the more of a grip they get on the OS, the more "closed" it becomes, the more they will restrict the apps that run on it in the long run.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of the two reasons I bought my Thunderbolt was for SenseUI. I like it, and I don't see what any of the manufacturers should be banned from putting their own UI on top of Android. Other Linux distros do it all the time.

This isn't going to kick manufacturers in the butt to get them to put out new updates to their older phones. Samsung will still be Samsung as far as updates are concerned. So will Motorola and HTC.

Honestly if I wanted every phone to be exactly the same looking and feeling when I turned it on, I'd just get an iPhone. Touchwiz, Moto/ninja blur, SenseUI etc are what sets these phones apart. Get rid of that ability and I'm not certain so many companies will be making Android based smartphones.

This will NOT solve the so called fragmentation issue. This "problem" stems from 1) older hardware not being capable of running the latest OS versions without issues and 2) Why would anyone think not having Touchwiz on a phone will make Samsung update the software on their already sold phones any faster?

So much for "Open" huh?

This is both good and bad. I'm all for this though depending on what Google wants to do.

Google has made it very clear in the past that they want Android to be a standalone object in the Android world. Anything else should be an installable program. Sense, Blur and Touchwiz should be able to be turned off completely or even uninstalled.

I think what we're seeing is Google wanting companies like HTC, Moto, and Samsung to not muck around in the source code by building Sense, Blur, Touchwiz directly into the system and causing dependencies. That way updates can happen faster. If the base code on the device is still relatively close to what is on AOSP then updates comes quicker.

Look at the Tmobile Theme Engine on Github. That's the way themes should be done. That's what I think Google vision for Android is. Keep Android open for all to use but get people to modularize it. That way fragmentation is kept to a minimum.

Sure you have EOL devices that can't run newer versions but that's to be expected. The Droid is a perfect example. However, I also think the Droid got a fair number of updates during its lifetime. 2.0.0 was stock. 2.0.1 came next. Then 2.1. Then 2.2. Then 2.2.1 and 2.2.2. That's pretty good when you think about.

I also think part of this is to stop companies like Samsung from stringing their customers along in order to get the updates out there. Once again this would start bringing fragmentation under control.

Just don't forget that every system has fragmentation. It's inevitable. The key is controlling it to the best of your ability and if Google needs to exert a little bit of control to do it then I say so be it.

Well said. I'm thinking along the same lines.

cpjr

Reaction score
I don't think it's 'end of story' either.

There needed to be some accountability of Google's part to ensure a high quality product... I think this is a great step toward it.

Is it all rainbows and unicorns? No, there are negatives to it as well, but overall I think it will only improve the end product for consumers.

Dont get me wrong, I think they need it. I agree it will drive quality up, which is something that is lacking on android. I am for it, I was just making a point.