Google Tightening Grip on Android - Less Open, "Open Source"

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's 'end of story' either.

There needed to be some accountability of Google's part to ensure a high quality product... I think this is a great step toward it.

Is it all rainbows and unicorns? No, there are negatives to it as well, but overall I think it will only improve the end product for consumers.

Dont get me wrong, I think they need it. I agree it will drive quality up, which is something that is lacking on android. I am for it, I was just making a point.

And I didn't mean to negate your point, I just meant to convey I don't see it as such a cut and dry inevitability. Your thoughts are welcome, I didn't mean to step on toes :)

As long as they only push as far as to get a 'central' OS that mfg's can then (for lack of a better description) "decorate" (UI's) instead of mfg's putting their UI's into the OS itself... more of a layer, that can differentiate mfg's from one another, but at the same time still offer the same 'solid' Android OS behind them... then I'm all for it.

Hopefully they don't go overboard... but only time will tell.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
We are talking about the OS, Apple's OS has a deathgrip on it and now Google is trying to tighten the belt on theirs. How is that not heading in the same direction?

If it does not lead to the issues I described before, I dont see how it is a bad thing. The OS deathgrip is only a bad thing when abused. Apple abuses it. I have not seen evidence that google has or will.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
PS- And the more of a grip they get on the OS, the more "closed" it becomes, the more they will restrict the apps that run on it in the long run.

That is an example of what I was talking about. You seem to be assuming this is inevitable. I do not agree.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This has been googles stance for the past couple months, all they are doing is making it a reality. Why? Because they were tired of hearing all the companies throwing their UI's on it and forcing people to use it. What part of open is that? None. Google has said before that they've tried to have this practice stop, and if it didn't they might have to take drastic measures. Welcome to that step. They've never wanted to completely stop companies from putting their stuff on the phones, but as previously stated, they want it to be more of like a theme... or an installed program, not a forced UI.

Plus another problem with having a company force a UI on you, is about updating the phone. Time and time again we see companies not being able to put out updates or having to delay updates because their UI doesn't work with the update, so they have to go back in and change their UI. HTC did it alot, and now moto is starting to do it. I think alot of this also has to do with google wanting to be able to push a core update out and have it all come out around the same time, not have to wait 6-8 months for an update.

h_10

Reaction score
google is a company in search of revenue. as such, this move has less to do w/ the integrity of the android os and has more to do w/ google protecting it's revenue stream.

google makes a ton of money from google searches from mobile phones. they aren't going to sit quiet when microsoft tries to incent phone manufacturers to install bing instead of google search. in the same vein, google is in direct competition w/ facebook for social media and the perks that go w/ it, namely the hundreds of millions of customers. if anyone is a direct competition to google, it's facebook. facebook has direct marketing to those hundreds of millions of customers. who are you going to spend marketing money on, google or facebook w/ the refined customer bios. googles latitude service is trying to win market share from facebook's similar application. so again, google is not going to empower facebook by allowing it to entrench it's market share w/ a facebook phone running on google os.

as much as we like to herald google as the altruistic white knight to apple's bad guy, google is after the same thing apple is...revenue. this move is a by product of that. and surprise, all companies are greedy.

now this makes the moto announcement of it pursuing a proprietary os all the more sense.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
It could be a good thing. But I still have to think this may even further delay software updates. Just think of all the software that will have to be signed off on. Maybe they will release stock android then the skins be approved for the market.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think its very funny that this is exactly what Apple has always done and EVERYBODY HATES them for it.

Now, Googles is swaying that way and everyone says "I think it will be a good thing".

Personally, it doesnt really bother me. I am just amazed at how people react, not because of the issue, but because of "who" the issue is.

Exactly what I was thinking. Suddenly this is "a great idea" and people "agree with this" haha. Now had Apple done this, "cult", "sheep", "Uncle Steve", and "Kool Aid" would have already been posted about 50 times....

I think this is a good idea, just like I think when Apple does it it's a good idea. You have an amazing product, why wouldn't you want to protect it?

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It seems Google is trying to find the "happy medium" between Apple's "close-fisted" fascism and Microsoft's tolerance for bloat-ware. This is a double-edged sword; it can cut both ways. On one hand Google is trying to maintain a level of quality in standards with their "baby" which I can totally understand but this may backfire in that handset manufactures may decide to go elsewhere. Basically Google started out with few restrictions on their OS because they needed to see if it could fly but I think the pace and popularity of Android increased so rapidly that perhaps it even made Google's head spin a bit. Now that Android has proven itself and now that many handset manufactures have proven to Google that they just "don't get it", Google has the luxury to renegotiate some terms. Motorola has said that they are losing confidence in the Android platform but maybe if Motorola would get their heads out of their @$$#% they'd realize the problem isn't Android it's their stupid moto-blur garbage. In the end I am optimistic that Google will use this opportunity to make Android even more refined, streamlined, polished, and just all around better then it's been. I'm running Gingerbread on my Droid 1 and it's super-fast and responsive! Google has their reputation to protect and thus far their records shows that they're extremely consumer oriented.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Google started by letting everyone use its free OS on as many phone as possible and waited for it to dominate the market. Now they will squeeze it for profits. Any modification desired by a manufacturer would need to make financial sense to Google otherwise it wont happen.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think its very funny that this is exactly what Apple has always done and EVERYBODY HATES them for it.

Now, Googles is swaying that way and everyone says "I think it will be a good thing".

Personally, it doesnt really bother me. I am just amazed at how people react, not because of the issue, but because of "who" the issue is.

Exactly what I was thinking. Suddenly this is "a great idea" and people "agree with this" haha. Now had Apple done this, "cult", "sheep", "Uncle Steve", and "Kool Aid" would have already been posted about 50 times....

I think this is a good idea, just like I think when Apple does it it's a good idea. You have an amazing product, why wouldn't you want to protect it?

No, everybody doesnt hate them for it. Dont assume the fanboys speak for the majority of Android users. Like I dont think the fanboys speak for the majority is iPhone, iPad users.

I think there were some pro Android ppl that wished the Android market was more like the iPhone's. And there were pro Android ppl that wished for something like this last year.

We cant say what ppl woulda posted cuz its just 1 iPhone. Sometimes I think we make more outta the fanboy thing than there is.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

No, everybody doesnt hate them for it. Dont assume the fanboys speak for the majority of Android users. Like I dont think the fanboys speak for the majority is iPhone, iPad users.

I think there were some pro Android ppl that wished the Android market was more like the iPhone's. And there were pro Android ppl that wished for something like this last year.

We cant say what ppl woulda posted cuz its just 1 iPhone. Sometimes I think we make more outta the fanboy thing than there is.

No you're right, I did generalize there, but I just find it funny. And I know this is an android centric forum so this sort of thing should be expected, but you gotta admit it's hilarious that people who would not even miss a beat in voicing their displeasure for something like this had Apple done it are not explaining what a "great idea" this is...

DanDroidX

Reaction score
I think this is great. Android is an excellent platform, but truly needs to be regulated. Carriers are going over the top loading apps that kill battery life and lower performance strictly for monetary gains. I don't think Google expected carriers to load so much bloatware and BS which makes Android seem sluggish. A Droid1 with a proper operating system overclock to 1GHz often performs better than stock phones with better specs like the Droid X and the Droid 2. Although a cool thing to brag about, a D1 should not outperform a DX, and the cause is the carrier's proprietary files and modification of the Android OS along with bloatware using CPU loads.

I have thought for some time that Android is too open. I think Google needs to enforce which preloaded apps come on the device, requiring proper freeing of memory and lower usage loads, and require that Android is not modified. I also believe it to be unacceptable that bootloaders are locked. I blame the locked bootloaders and the inability for developers to properly test their apps for many apps not working properly on some phones. A properly built skin should be okay. Some people love touchwiz, blur & sense for their custom look and unique features but skins should not lower performance like some which are currently featured on higher end devices

If this takes the correct course, it could make many Android users much happier by allowing better performance and lower cpu and battery loads. I sure hope this isn't the start of Android turning into Apple. :icon_eek:

62luvtolive

Reaction score
Do you blame them, After all they will lose if Their Quality goes down

Google has been very supportive in their free resources for us trying to learn and sharing so much good information letting us seek out all of our own ventures. I am not a very good techno yet but hope I will eventually become better at tweaking things one day.
I am not sure what this means for those developers but I hope people take the future into consideration when judging a company I believe has done great things for the world along with a few others.
I will pose a question too anyone feel bitter. What would you do if you were in their position? :blink:

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
If it will speed up updates and helpsmooth out the need for a new phone every mounth because something better came out then do it hit the switch. Just dont give me that ugly ass default camera app that google has!

But I must admit I hate moto blur with a passion but seeing as how I could never find moto blur on the droid x I was happy and more that I have the GB leek I am really happy.

cpjr

Reaction score
I don't think it's 'end of story' either.

There needed to be some accountability of Google's part to ensure a high quality product... I think this is a great step toward it.

Is it all rainbows and unicorns? No, there are negatives to it as well, but overall I think it will only improve the end product for consumers.

Dont get me wrong, I think they need it. I agree it will drive quality up, which is something that is lacking on android. I am for it, I was just making a point.

And I didn't mean to negate your point, I just meant to convey I don't see it as such a cut and dry inevitability. Your thoughts are welcome, I didn't mean to step on toes :)

As long as they only push as far as to get a 'central' OS that mfg's can then (for lack of a better description) "decorate" (UI's) instead of mfg's putting their UI's into the OS itself... more of a layer, that can differentiate mfg's from one another, but at the same time still offer the same 'solid' Android OS behind them... then I'm all for it.

Hopefully they don't go overboard... but only time will tell.

Oh I agree.