Google Tightening Grip on Android - Less Open, "Open Source"

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID New Member

100% agree. Google does not care about alienating (or not alienating) the developing community. If anything, they probably enjoy what they do. That is after the fact. And a SMALL percentage of sales. They are only worried about the commercial image of Google and what the crap manufacturers/carriers are doing with it.
  2. wingdo

wingdo New Member

Exactly my point. In order to run a newer OS you had to push your current hardware BEYOND it's designed and tested limits. No phone manufacturer is going to clock their processor beyond it's specified maximum clock rate so you can run an OS which is not supported by the hardware. Again, the Eris would not get the update with or without this change by Google.
  3. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    So Google is becoming more like Apple!!:mad:
  4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

You all fail to acknowledge that Google is under tremendous pressure from the carriers, it's not just them because they don't control the final product. Verizon for instance is out to make money, and people like us who make devices last far longer than actually designed undercuts their profits because you're not pressured to move to another device. Right now it's not very popular to root, but in the future it might be and could contribute to quite a bit of limited profits in the long term for carriers who can't push new models as easily.

Just imagine if the D1 was never rooted...90% of us using the D1 on this forum most likely would have moved to another device months ago, I know I would have.
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Open source works until it doesn't... or until it goes against the best interest of the company touting it. It can never fully last in our capitalistic (and greed-based) society.

As already stated, UI overlays will remain... If they didn't, the manufacturers would simply get stuck in a hardware cat & mouse game, and have nothing more to differentiate. The manufacturers have more power than we think, b/c they're the gateway to the carriers, who in turn have all the power with consumers, at least the way America does wireless, anyway. If Google pissed them off, it's not entirely unthinkable to see some carriers say "fine, we'll go check out WP7 and webOS". But Google will not do that, so I don't think this is as big of a deal as it might look at first.
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I don't see this as Google being more like Apple in the bad way, but the good way. As much as I despise Apple and it's business model... they do do some things right.

I think they needed to tighten the reigns a bit to stem fragmentation and guarantee a product with Android on it is a quality device.... hopefully weening out some of the crappy, sub-par offerings.
  7. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

Great, you like Sense UI.

But tell me...why cant I have the option of uninstalling it without having to root and ROM? THAT is why this is a good thing. UI add-ons should be an opt-in process, not the other way around. If the UI is so great, then people will be happy to use it willingly. Right?

I despise Motoblur, and the fact that the Droid 1 doesnt have it was a key reason I bought the phone.

And then there is the Galaxy S thing with Bing and no Google...I wont be sorry to see situations like that come to an end either. Bing is probably the one thing I hate more than Motoblur.
  8. Martin030908

Bing on an Android device is just not right :icon_ devil:
  9. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

Bing on any device is not right. I dont even know how Bing is still alive...every single person I know who has used it is either indifferent or hates it. I have never met a single person who has told me "OMG Bing is so awesome!!11!1!!"
  10. VannMann

VannMann New Member

In a sense we are agreeing, what I am saying is the firmware that came on it sucked and the only update I know of that it got sucked as well. There were times when the phone either acted on its own or wouldn't do anything at all. They should have put more thought into the phone. The only way I could make the phone usable for her was to do these things. Thank you for the conversation bro :)
  11. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

I mean, really, the fact that the only way Microsoft can get people to use Bing is by FORCING them to use it really says all that needs to be said about the product.
  12. jacobbond

jacobbond New Member

Yes get rid of the bloatware!!! I don't think Google is trying to be evil, they are just trying to protect the integrity of their product. Yes it is open source but that doesn't mean companies are free to modify it to make it something not even resembling Android anymore.
  13. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I think its very funny that this is exactly what Apple has always done and EVERYBODY HATES them for it.

Now, Googles is swaying that way and everyone says "I think it will be a good thing".

Personally, it doesnt really bother me. I am just amazed at how people react, not because of the issue, but because of "who" the issue is.
  14. VannMann

VannMann New Member

I didn't write that, lol. I think you quoted wrong.
  15. Martin030908

Same boat here. Google is synonymous with "search". Yahoo went the way of the dinosaur and I see no reason why Bing won't. Don't get me wrong, competition is good...

Even with the iPhone... they just "Google" it. dancedroid
  16. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

On its worst day Google is not as bossy as Apple is. Not by a long shot.

How many apps has Google banned so far because they dont like the content? How many multi-media platforms has Google banned because of an ideological agenda?

Sorry, Apple is way way worse. Even now.
  17. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Did I say they were the same? Did I even try to imply it...no.

This is the direction they are going. End of story. Doesnt mean they will ever be as bad, doesnt mean they wont.

So calm down.
  18. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

Sorry, it was actually wingdo. The quote button auto-filled everything. I am going back to quoting manually.
  19. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

I disagree that they are going in the direction of banning apps they dont like or platforms they dont like. I have seen zero evidence of that.
  20. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Ok, lets get off the app discussion, since this thread has nothing to do with it.

We are talking about the OS, Apple's OS has a deathgrip on it and now Google is trying to tighten the belt on theirs. How is that not heading in the same direction?
Search tags for this page

rom gripper doesn't work

touchwiz should be banned