Google Pushing Android 2.2 (Froyo) To Some Droid Users

mitchb2

Reaction score
Why are they releasing their latest phone (Droid X) without the latest OS. It's just dumb.
They should have busted their tails to get it done for launch.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
From that same place...

How to Update Motorola Droid to Android 2.2 FRF84B | Tips Needed

The android 2.2 froyo FRF84B update for the Motorola Droid was leaked among the users, about what we had reported earlier today. Now if you are eager to update your Motorola Droid to android 2.2 froyo FRF84B, then here is how to do it.

Just follow the steps given below to update Motorola Droid to android 2.2 FRF84B.

1. First you have to root your Motorola Droid.
:icon_rolleyes:

He's wrong too. You don't have to root first.
woooaahhh hold up. You mean you don't have to root first as in:It's NOT THE FIRST STEP???
OR
I can directly install this thing from my 2.1?????(which I did a manual non-root update awhile back..)

scf

Reaction score

woooaahhh hold up. You mean you don't have to root first as in:It's NOT THE FIRST STEP???
OR
I can directly install this thing from my 2.1?????(which I did a manual non-root update awhile back..)
I believe what he means is that AFTER the update you will have a rooted phone.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
OR
so by doing this process, directly updating from 2.1 to 2.2, my phone will become rooted automatically and I dont have to worry about doing any of those steps to root it?? why am I reading everywhere that I need to do all this stuff to root it first????? so confused right now...

scf

Reaction score
OR
so by doing this process, directly updating from 2.1 to 2.2, my phone will become rooted automatically and I dont have to worry about doing any of those steps to root it?? why am I reading everywhere that I need to do all this stuff to root it first????? so confused right now...
Me too, sometimes sucks to be so new to this. I'm thinking that I've misinformed you. Hopefully those more knowledgable will chime in to englighten us.

JMody

Reaction score
I wasn't rooted. Just followed the directions and when it was all said and done I was. Can't figure out how to use the kernels to over clock or anything like that though....

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You have to follow the basic steps of rooting a 2.1-update1 system. Flash an .sbf file with RSDLite. Technically you aren't rooting as all your are doing is flashing an alternate recovery program (SPRecovery) that will allow you to install unsigned update.zip. SPRecovery will also allow you to restore a ROM that has ROOT already, like all the 2.2 Roms that are out.

So no, you don't have to be rooted....but you have to go through the steps of rooting to get 2.2 at this time. Since the SPRecovery.sbf file was posted you no longer have to flash all the way back to 2.0.1 (which can be rooted), you just have to flash SPRecovery to the phone (which will allow you to update.zip (ROOT) or install a custom ROM.

Rooting.
RSDLite flash SPRecovery .sbf file, install update.zip (root).

vs. installing 2.2
RSDLite flash SPRecovery .sbf file, install 2.2 ROM (already rooted).

So again...you don't have to be rooted...but you are going through the rooting process and using an alternate Recovery to do the install.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I wasn't rooted. Just followed the directions and when it was all said and done I was. Can't figure out how to use the kernels to over clock or anything like that though....

Kernels don't overclock, they only allow you to overclock. You'll need SetCPU to overclock as it can read the "allowed" speed settings from the kernel, ie..a 7-slot kernel will have 7 speeds (125/250/550/700/900/1000/1200) and a 5-slot kernel will have 5 speeds (250/550/700/1000/1200). SetCPU allows you to choose which of those you want to use for Min speed, Max speed and for profile configuration (slower when sleeping/charging, etc.. faster when using).

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
You have to follow the basic steps of rooting a 2.1-update1 system. Flash an .sbf file with RSDLite. Technically you aren't rooting as all your are doing is flashing an alternate recovery program (SPRecovery) that will allow you to install unsigned update.zip. SPRecovery will also allow you to restore a ROM that has ROOT already, like all the 2.2 Roms that are out.

So no, you don't have to be rooted....but you have to go through the steps of rooting to get 2.2 at this time. Since the SPRecovery.sbf file was posted you no longer have to flash all the way back to 2.0.1 (which can be rooted), you just have to flash SPRecovery to the phone (which will allow you to update.zip (ROOT) or install a custom ROM.

Rooting.
RSDLite flash SPRecovery .sbf file, install update.zip (root).

vs. installing 2.2
RSDLite flash SPRecovery .sbf file, install 2.2 ROM (already rooted).

So again...you don't have to be rooted...but you are going through the rooting process and using an alternate Recovery to do the install.
I think I understand, you are temporarily rooting to go through the process but you're not staying rooted.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No, you aren't even temporarily rooting. You are, by using RSDlite, flashing an alternate recovery to your phone which allows you to do things that can give you root. You aren't rooted until you either root the phone or install a ROM that has root.

So people are correct in saying you don't have to be rooted, but they are also incorrect because you are going through the exact same steps as rooting, just leaving of the install of root update.zip and going straight to a rooted rom. If you flash SPRecovery and do nothing else.....you don't have root.