Motorola Droid 4 Soak Test Beginning Today, or Update Pushing Out?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-droid-4-full-kb-out.jpg

We have reports from members in the forums that a new update for the venerable Motorola Droid 4 is starting to push out OTA. It could just be the soak test which we caught wind of back at the beginning of January, but it could be the final build update. Right now, we aren't sure which it is. The soak test invite went out on January 2nd, so it's possible the soak test simply got started late, but it's also possible it completed and this is the result. Sound off if in the thread if you have more info regarding this. Sadly, the update isn't KitKat, and probably never will be. It's just some bug fixes more than likely.

Here's one other tip... we don't know if this update will break root, so you might want to consider something like OTA RootKeeper for your device before you get the update, just in case you are rooted and don't want that changed. Sound off if you are still the proud owner of the Droid 4!

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
After running a full backup with Titanium I let this update install. It's quick and painless; updates to build # 4.1.2 - 98.72.189.XT894. It does remove root but OTA RootKeeper worked like a charm.

ceehouse

Reaction score
I woke up to the update yesterday morning (1/15). never received an invite for the soak test.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
The SOAK started a few days after the invites went out and the OTA rollout just a few days after the SOAK. The update was so minor they didn't need much if any feedback on the SOAK.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The SOAK started a few days after the invites went out and the OTA rollout just a few days after the SOAK. The update was so minor they didn't need much if any feedback on the SOAK.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Figured that was the case... thanks tcrews!

djstinso

Reaction score
After running a full backup with Titanium I let this update install. It's quick and painless; updates to build # 4.1.2 - 98.72.189.XT894. It does remove root but OTA RootKeeper worked like a charm.

I did the same thing, however OTA RootKeeper did not bring my root back fyi

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I did the same thing, however OTA RootKeeper did not bring my root back fyi

Just re-root with razr_blade, make sure to clear cache and data and then force close Smart Actions first.

Interesting...my SOAK D4 was updated to 98.72.188.XT894 while both my wife and my sister, who got the OTA, went to 98.72.189.XT894. I re-rooted all three with razr_blade, didn't bother unrooting or attempting to unroot, no unfreezing of frozen apps, etc... Just install and re-root.

djstinso

Reaction score
Just re-root with razr_blade, make sure to clear cache and data and then force close Smart Actions first.

Interesting...my SOAK D4 was updated to 98.72.188.XT894 while both my wife and my sister, who got the OTA, went to 98.72.189.XT894. I re-rooted all three with razr_blade, didn't bother unrooting or attempting to unroot, no unfreezing of frozen apps, etc... Just install and re-root.

That is what I ended up having to do is go through razr_blade and re-rooting. Not sure if my case is isolated or not. I just wanted to throw out there that OTA RootKeeper did not work for me.