Google Patented Eyeball Injected Smart Lenses

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bionic_eyes_FINAL.jpg

It looks like Google has visual computing plans for the future that go far beyond Google Glass. They just filed a a patent for smart lenses that you inject into your eyes. Specifically, this technology is meant to replace your own natural lens with an injected solution which congeals and attaches to the lens capsule of your eyeball.

The primary purpose is actually to improve your vision and replace contact lenses with something more permanent; however, the tech can take your visual acumen to a whole new level as well. The concept includes:
  • electronic lens
  • storage
  • sensors
  • battery (which will include an "energy harvesting antenna" to charge itself
  • radio components designed to communicate with an external device with additional processing power
With all of these components, it sounds like the makings of a permanent bionic contact lens which could have far reaching applications, (like your own personal HUD), and more! It's crazy how fast the tech ideas are evolving now!

Source: Forbes

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Inject and eyes in the same sentence don't seem to work for me. I'm going to pass.

But if they ever get those google glasses right I'll give them a try.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is one thing I'd do. If it worked just like Google glass but was done with this process...I'll be a beta tester.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I want colored contact lenses that have those circuits on them...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm with PC747 and FoxKat on this one. I read about this over the weekend and thought "There is no way I am letting anyone inject anything into my eyeball". Contacts that are removable, maybe.

Anyone else old enough to remember Steve Austin and his Bionic eye? That's what this reminds me of.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
For all you younger folks that don't know what I am talking about, here you go.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm with PC747 and FoxKat on this one. I read about this over the weekend and thought "There is no way I am letting anyone inject anything into my eyeball". Contacts that are removable, maybe.

Anyone else old enough to remember Steve Austin and his Bionic eye? That's what this reminds me of.

I agree, but what I meant was I want contacts that 'look' like bionic eyes, just to see what kind of reactions I'd get.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I agree, but what I meant was I want contacts that 'look' like bionic eyes, just to see what kind of reactions I'd get.

You can get colored contacts so I'm sure they make them.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That third one would definitely get some reactions.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I would love to sign up for this if it can fix my vision as well. I hate being near sighted. I wear contacts most of the time but not being able to see without them or glasses sucks.
I don't mean to be rude, but the cost of having cutting edge technology implanted into your eye is probably way more expensive than getting something like LASIK or PRK done.

You should also look into Intraocular Lens (IOL) implants. It's a relatively new procedure where they cut open your eye, suck out your old biological focusing lens, and put a new plastic lens in underneath. Originally developed to combat cataracts, they've gotten to the point where they can make artificial lenses that will correct other common eye problems such as myopia, astigmatism, and near/far sightedness. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the procedure hasn't been approved for general use in the US, so you'd probably need to go to the UK to get it done. It's only been done here in the States to combat very severe (and probably ludicrously expensive) eye problems.

If you have a primary ophthalmologist, I'd definitely recommend talking to them and finding out what kinds of procedures are out there and available right now as opposed to being one of the first human subjects lined up to try an experimental new procedure when it comes out. Especially if it's your eyes; I have really poor vision as well and I'm still doing research on what the best course of action for me to take, would be. Because I don't want to do something to my eyes that might have dire ramifications down the road.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I honestly don't think they'd inject these...probably insert them like a new lens when they do a cataract surgery.... The cost of the lens that's the sticking point..it can't be made cheaply or it'll break down in the eye...