Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Google Pixel 4 - THAT TOP BEZEL, THOUGH!
Google Pixel 4 and Google Pixel 4 XL will be unveiled in October. But we already have a full detailed look of the handset. It shows a rather large forehead and a thin chin. Google Pixel 4 rumors say the device will have 3D sensors for face unlock.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So when it first had a "notch" this forum blew up over the hatred for the notch, along with every other forum and tech reviewer at the time. Now Google might (and this is all a might, rumors, renders, nothing confirmed) remove the "notch" and people are already complaining about the "forehead". I personally don't care either way, either is fine with me; I don't care one way or another. But this is very comical as the "notch" hatred comes full circle. What does the buying community want? No front sensors whatsoever?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
So when it first had a "notch" this forum blew up over the hatred for the notch, along with every other forum and tech reviewer at the time. Now Google might (and this is all a might, rumors, renders, nothing confirmed) remove the "notch" and people are already complaining about the "forehead". I personally don't care either way, either is fine with me; I don't care one way or another. But this is very comical as the "notch" hatred comes full circle. What does the buying community want? No front sensors whatsoever?

When minor Chinese brand can put their camera and sensors under display and have it work, Google can do better. Chinese company shows phone with camera hidden behind the screen I was expecting a full screen display from them like other budget companies are putting out.

Guess they are playing safe and sticking with old tech, understable, but people are expecting cutting edge from biggest tech on the planet.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The writer of that article obviously isn't as well informed as tech junkies are as he claims "when the tech to make that possible doesn’t really exist yet" and "You cannot buy a truly bezel-less smartphone yet". Both statements are false and makes him lose any credibility as a news source.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When minor Chinese brand can put their camera and sensors under display and have it work, Google can do better. Chinese company shows phone with camera hidden behind the screen I was expecting a full screen display from them like other budget companies are putting out.

I thought the "camera under the screen" still had technical issues and wasn't quite ready for primetime. My only real criticism of that phone is the off-center camera bump, which I imagine to be irritating when laying flat on your desk and you try to swipe/interact without picking it up.

My main beef, which continues to be with most phones, is the 6+ inch screens and 18:19 displays or whatever it is. It's why my current phone is going to be 5 years old in a few months (I'm fortunate to be able to keep it running well flashing roms). And, of course, the battery I spent $80 (including service charge) to replace 14 months ago is already starting to show signs of EOL.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
And that article about the Oppo phone clearly states that the tech is still in demo mode and they don't know when it "might" be ready for Mass production. So right now, Google can't do any better than either a notch or a bezel. Both are fine, but both generate anger from the tech writer community. Comical.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
New rumors suggest the top bezel will house Google's new radar sensors for their Project Soli chip / functionality. If that is true, all the bezel haters will be quiet and say the bezel is the best thing since sliced bread.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
New rumors suggest the top bezel will house Google's new radar sensors for their Project Soli chip / functionality. If that is true, all the bezel haters will be quiet and say the bezel is the best thing since sliced bread.

Have we really become so lazy that we don't even want to touch our smartphone to interact any more?

This seems more novelty. Unless it helps the quick "wave" to flash time/notification function more consistently. That's the one wonky thing with my phone (because I often have the lockscreen disabled, which affects that gesture).