Amazon's 3D Smartphone Shows Up in Leaked Pictures

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bgr-a-phone-1.jpg

Although we are still scratching our head as to why Amazon would choose to use the gimmick of 3D in their upcoming Android-based smartphone, we aren't surprised that they want to bring a smartphone to market. It makes perfect sense for the mega-e-tailer to offer products which draw more customers into their ecosystem. For years we have heard rumors of an Amazon smartphone, and now we might just have the first pics of a real device from the company.

The above pic (and the others included in the thread below) are reportedly leaked images of the Amazon 3D smartphone which might come to market later this year. These images include a protective shell around the device (perhaps to hide its final design when pics like this are potentially leaked). It's important to note that the source of these photos indicated this is a prototype, so it's possible the final device might look different. On top of the included pics, several of the rumored specs have "supposedly" been confirmed. Here's the breakdown,

• Unspecified Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • A heavily customized version of Google’s Android operating system - just like the OS found on the Kindle Fire products
  • Display of 4.7 inches 720p HD
  • Custom 3D capabilities - with 6 cameras - four of which are positioned in the corners of the device and are low-power infrared
  • 13MP main rear camera
  • First of at least two handsets being developed by Amazon
Apparently Amazon doesn't think 3D will be a gimmick with their device. They are developing it to have practical applications. Here's a quote with more of the details,

One source tells us these four cameras, which are situated in each of the four corners on the face of the phone, are low-power infrared cameras.

The device’s extra cameras are used to track the position of the user’s face and eyes in relation to the phone’s display. This allows Amazon’s software to make constant adjustments to the positioning of on-screen elements, altering the perspective of visuals on the screen.

The result is a 3D experience without the need for 3D glasses or a parallax barrier in front the LCD panel like the solutions used by the Nintendo 3DS portable video game console and HTC’s EVO 3D smartphone from 2011.

We’re told there are several areas of the phone’s software that utilize Amazon’s glasses-free 3D effects.

Since the 3D interface is the phone’s biggest point of differentiation, Amazon has tried to use its new technology in as many areas as possible. In fact, right from the start on the lock screen, Amazon’s new phone will include several special wallpapers with perspectives that shift as the user tilts the phone from side to side as well as up and down.

Moving past the wallpapers, Amazon’s 3D effect will also apply to application icons and other core elements of the user interface. Several main apps will be compatible as well; for example, we’re told that moving the phone while using the maps application will change the view of various objects on the screen.

Another smart use for the phone’s 3D effects is across Amazon’s various stores, such as its book store, music store and the main Amazon digital market. By shifting the position of the phone, users are able to see three-dimensional product images at different angles to reveal surfaces that cannot be seen in 2D photos.

If all of this turns out to be true, Amazon will definitely have a unique product for the smartphone world. What do you think of this 3D concept?

Source: BGR

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are the rest of those pics of the Amazon Android phone prototype (with protective shell):

bgr-a-phone-1.jpg

bgr-a-phone-2.jpg

bgr-a-phone-3.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the update. I really don't care about the 3D aspect (even though that seems to be their key selling point), but am curious to see one & try it out in person when they are available. I love the Kindle Fire HD tablets, my wife and I both have one. I'm not sure if I'll like that OS on a phone, but curious to see how it works & check out the UI.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
That looks like a hard case on another phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I read this morning that Amazon is going to let AT&T carry their new phone exclusively. Bummer for me...I was hoping to check it out!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk