Google Nav ?

mad3963

Reaction score
Is there a "follow-me" feature in GN that I am missing? By that I mean, will the indicator follow your route on the map as you are driving, without entering a Start and Destination point? I tried it this morning, and it does, to a point. It does not auto-scroll the map as your route moves off the current screen. I had to manually scroll the map. My Garmin did all this. Am I missing something in GN, or does it just not do this? If not, can any one recommend an app that does, preferably using Google Maps. This can be with or without route logging and/or posting capabilities.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :motdroidvert:

myriad46

Reaction score
As far as I have ever found out, only google maps will follow you. I would like it if Nav would follow, because Maps does not have a night time mode, and I like to watch it scroll along, whereever I go.

Benton

Reaction score
Just to understand, you are not using the function to get you from point A to point B but just to give you an on-going map as if you put point A to point B (you don't want directions in other words). Or is the function you are looking for something different?

OP
mad3963

mad3963

Reaction score
Just to understand, you are not using the function to get you from point A to point B but just to give you an on-going map as if you put point A to point B (you don't want directions in other words). Or is the function you are looking for something different?

Basically, what I want is for it to follow my route as I'm driving, (as if I entered Point A/B) and auto-scroll the screen. As I said, I tried it this morning. I brought up Google Nav, selected Directions, then backed out of the directions entry screen without entering any data. The indicator (little blue pointer) would follow my position (very accurately, I might add), but the screen would not auto-scroll as the pointer reached the edge of the current screen. The pointer would just disappear off-screen and I would have to scroll the screen manually with my finger.

rjax

Reaction score
This isn't the greatest solution, but it might be better than nothing... You can decide.

Start up Navigation to a destination that there's no way you'll ever arrive at (say somewhere across the country). If you put the Navigation volume on mute, and don't mind seeing irrelevant directions and changes to those irrelevant directions, that'll do the job for you.

rjax

Reaction score
Or you could use the Zillow app. It has a blue pointer on the classic Google Maps view, and at least when I was using it, when the blue pointer reached the edge of the screen, the view refreshed itself to put the blue pointer back in the center.

FuzzyBeard

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about. When I go into Navigation and it comes up with a directions input...I just hit the back button to clear it, then I hit menu...."my location" and it works just like normal google maps.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ill just put it out there for fun. The app "My Tracks" is really neat. It follows GPS on a map and you can record your route. Mostly used for hiking, running, and so on but I have also used it in my car. It shows a multi-touch map that traces your beginning location with an line to where you currently are. When your done you can hit "Stop Recording" - and it gives you elevation, distance, time, and so on... You can then even upload to your google Maps account to save all the info.

Probably not what you want, but for others... its a really cool app. Must have IMO.

Xpain

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about. When I go into Navigation and it comes up with a directions input...I just hit the back button to clear it, then I hit menu...."my location" and it works just like normal google maps.
/\ /\ /\
What he said. If you press menu>my location.... voila! it will follow you. You can even zoom in/out, press menu>my location again, and it will keep following you at the desired zoom level.

Last edited:
OP
mad3963

mad3963

Reaction score

OK. I didn't try the "My Location" thing. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

capehorn3

Reaction score
I go to Maps, list, My location and it follows fine. I love Layers, Satellite!!

FuzzyBeard

Reaction score
Actually, they both work with "my location", but Nav has the night mode the OP wanted

edit...it wasn't the OP that wanted night mode...my bad :)

OP
mad3963

mad3963

Reaction score
Actually, they both work with "my location", but Nav has the night mode the OP wanted

edit...it wasn't the OP that wanted night mode...my bad :)

LOL. Nope, hadn't thot of that, but it's a big plus.

pudah

Reaction score

Basically, what I want is for it to follow my route as I'm driving, (as if I entered Point A/B) and auto-scroll the screen. As I said, I tried it this morning. I brought up Google Nav, selected Directions, then backed out of the directions entry screen without entering any data. The indicator (little blue pointer) would follow my position (very accurately, I might add), but the screen would not auto-scroll as the pointer reached the edge of the current screen. The pointer would just disappear off-screen and I would have to scroll the screen manually with my finger.

Currently no. You can do it in google maps. Open maps and select my location to find yourself and it'll follow you. It's not the same, but it's close.