Navigation and data connection question

jmstultz

Reaction score
Is there any way to get around needing a data connection for the GPS to work? I just went on a trip and realized that I couldn't use the GPS because I had no data connection. It did find a connection at one point and downloaded the map, but when i exited out (accidentally, and it was obviously a bad idea...) it was gone, but at least my route was still there. However, when i tried on the way back, it kept trying to find the route and wouldn't even give me directions without a map.

Shouldn't there be a way to download maps and store them on the SD card or something?

OP
J

jmstultz

Reaction score
That looks interesting... but I'd rather not pay for it...

I was hoping that there was a way to actually take the map that google loads for the navigation and save it somewhere so it can be used later (like when there's no data service).

towergal

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the "data connection lost" message and was hoping to find a resolution today on the forum. Sounds like Google Navigation is designed to work this way? Seems crazy considering the application is running on mobile phones. I hope Google comes up with a fix.