Google/Motorola Patents Now Being Used Against Apple By HTC

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No clue why my links came out like that haha...but you can click em if you're interested

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I liken it to a school yard bully who finally picked on the wrong kid, and gets slapped around for a while. Is it right? No, but it IS fun to watch.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
I dont know if you're asking me or telling me but Google definitely complained about being ganged up on:

Google Says Apple, Microsoft, Oracle Wage ‘Hostile Campaign’ - BusinessweekUPDATE: Google Complains Of Organized Campaign Against Android - WSJ.comGoogle lawyer slams Apple, Microsoft over patents | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, FeaturesGoogle was a bidder for those exact patents that they complained about and lost to MSFT, and Apple.

Now on the flip side, they've obtained some patents and are allowing HTC to use them to sue Apple haha...

Secondly, Apple is suing for something legit. They were granted the patent so they have a right to sue. If the patent was given incorrectly that'll be bought out in court and the patent will be ruled invalid. But they're not just suing for the sake of suing, they're suing because they were granted these patents on things they developed or acquired patents. Neither side is wrong, and both sides are doing what any company would do.

It was sort of a question because I wasn't aware. But google isn't really complaining, they're just stating that companies are trying to sue us because we're having more success.
Some things that apple is suing for are ridiculous though. I'm glad this happened, apple has this "we're better than everyone" attitude and they're very cocky. I got a feeling this is going to end up bad for them not android. Google doesn't lose.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was sort of a question because I wasn't aware. But google isn't really complaining, they're just stating that companies are trying to sue us because we're having more success.
Some things that apple is suing for are ridiculous though. I'm glad this happened, apple has this "we're better than everyone" attitude and they're very cocky. I got a feeling this is going to end up bad for them not android. Google doesn't lose.

Well I'd consider that complaining given the circumstances haha. If you read those articles you'll see that both Apple and Microsoft offered Google an opportunity to join their consortium and they refused. Then when they were outbid, they said that Microsoft and Apple and the rest of the consortium were ganging up on them.

Who knows, I agree that the things that Apple were given patents for are pretty ridiculous, I don't agree that them suing for them is though. They were given the patents so they tried to protect them. Google would have done the same I'm sure.

As far as "Google doesn't lose" I don't know about that either. There's far too many pending cases to make that judgment just yet haha.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that google will out smart them in the end. :p

I really hope google patented a lot of the things coming to ios 5 so apple can't use them.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that google will out smart them in the end. :p

I really hope google patented a lot of the things coming to ios 5 so apple can't use them.

Why so Google can prove and all the whiners can prove how hypocritical they are being about Apple.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Why so Google can prove and all the whiners can prove how hypocritical they are being about Apple.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Hypocritical how? They started a suing war with Google devices as soon as Google overtook them with phone sales. Why didn't they sue any android devices couple years ago? They see that people prefer Android over apple when it comes to phones, they're afraid that the same thing will happen with tablets as well as tablet sales for android devices have also increased. Samsung is the number one seller for Android devices and that's who apple went after first. They stopped sales in half of Europe and some parts of Asia all over a bouncing effect that you get when flicking through pictures. LOL! Samsung can fix this with a system update but they caused problems that aren't necessary. If Google can fire back and cause problems with iPhone sales why shouldn't they? They're supposed to hang back and let apple do as they please...bully everyone?

No. I'm happy this happened. It shows that Google supports android devices and the platform as a whole. Apple is ruining competition. Why don't Samsung, HTC, Motorola and whatever other android device makers sue each other over visual effects?

alboboy10

Reaction score
They should make apple stop using Google maps next. I have so many iPhone friends who think Google maps is better on their iPhone than on my android...lol it's ridiculous.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic about Google maps...but you get my drift. That's an actual application made my Google which EVERYONE uses. And apple is suing over bouncing effects.

I understand that by law apple is not doing anything wrong...but it's about the principle.

1ceFiend

Reaction score

I've noticed how much you seemingly love to challenge people on many different threads. Starting to feel like you just want to argue. But oh well, that's your right.

I didn't care at first, but Apple's long delayed and broad assault has gotten me onto the Droid bandwagon. But, I think of it this way.. If someone were to suddenly attack you physically, out of jealousy, what would you do? Would you stand there and take it, run away and hide, or fight back? Android is fighting back, instead of just handing in the towel. As far as I know, they never instigated the lawsuits, other than being competition. And true, Apple has some legitimate patents and the patent system has really been exploited here, but I can handle trying to get some compensation or dues from phones sold like Microsoft. But to get phones and tablets banned? And to sue for phones looking similar? Why should respect a company stooping that low? And all this stifles competition making things worse for us in the long run. Which has already been said many times... I think there's a big difference in being the aggressor and the one defending themselves. So yeah, I'm on Google's side, who's just defending themselves from Apples onslaught. Plus Apple waited until their sales dropped to conveniently take advantage of the patent system. Whereas Microsoft quietly and somewhat more prudently made deals to have dues paid. I don't like it, but that's business.

Its not hypocritical when I'm against Apples assault with senseless suits acting like a bratty child while Google stands its ground and doesn't hand in the towel.

Still Rocking the OG!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've noticed how much you seemingly love to challenge people on many different threads. Starting to feel like you just want to argue. But oh well, that's your right.

Let me be perfectly clear on something, I have ALWAYS been civil with everyone in this forum. I have never attacked anyone personally and I never will. Just because I may have a differing opinion on this subject you automatically assume I am just here to argue and cause issues? That's a little unfair of you, isn't it? Why don't you go through every post I have ever made and then you can come back with a fair assessment of what I offer to the forum.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me be perfectly clear on something, I have ALWAYS been civil with everyone in this forum. I have never attacked anyone personally and I never will. Just because I may have a differing opinion on this subject you automatically assume I am just here to argue and cause issues? That's a little unfair of you, isn't it? Why don't you go through every post I have ever made and then you can come back with a fair assessment of what I offer to the forum.

Agreed. One of the nicest guys on the forum

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The main problem is that patents are handed out all the time, when alot of the times they are WAY to broad. They might go unchecked for a couple years, but a reason that they sue over them is because of the fact that once a court makes the decision of whether or not the patent has legal ground, then that company has won on 2 fronts. It basically wins the right to use that patent against anyone else they choose to.. knowing that it's pretty much approved by the courts via previous court decision. Secondly it wins against the main person they are trying to sue. So while alot of people are disapproving of the way apple is doing it, and i too disagree with alot of the patents they've been granted, i'm quite sure that is alot of the reasons why they do it. And of course we all know that if you can block the competition even for alittle while, you (the company suing) profit (most of the time). Apple seems to have the same approach to phones, tablets and computers, they might not be #1 in the market but they do provide a very good product. While most of us like android over iOS, i don't say that iOS sucks. Both are great products and all the companies should look more at innovation then lawsuits. While someones phone may look similar, everyone knows that one is android and one is iOS, so unless the salesman is being deceitful everyone should know that there is a difference between an iphone and anything else.

Please be civil to each other.