Google Maps GPS coords are wrong

philnolan3d

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is not just related to my Droid X but all Android Phones. I've been trying out geocaching over the past few days. It's fun, but whenever I type in GPS coordinates into Google Maps it puts a pin on the wrong spot. Thing is it's not too far off, like it's within a half mile, but for geocaching it has to be specific. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm kind of thinking it wants to put the pin on a road. because I've always been off road in a park or something and it puts the pin on a nearby road instead of in the park.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I don't seem to have this problem.

Took me forever trying to figure out how to enter the coordinates. Looks like you have to do a search. Then I had to fumble though trying to find a good format. Then I searched my photos for a set of coordinates that aren't near a road. Finally had to convert them to decimal, since I have no idea how to enter the degree sign.

Results, pin point accuracy.

If there is a snap to road feature in the Google Map app I can not find any settings to turn it on or off.

I did find an app on the market called c:geo. It works with the geocaching.com site. Might be worth your while. Geocaching > Groundspeak's Geocaching Android Application

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Yeah I found C:Geo and liked it a lot, I used it to find part 2 of the 3 part cache I was looking for. I'll try for part 3 tomorrow.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I loaded it up, signed up, and took a quick look. There are a surprising number of caches nearby, considering I'm pretty rural. I may have a new sport.

Let us know if you figure out the Google Map problem. I'd like to make sure it doesn't happen to me. (selfish, I know).